Requesting some info from ES-335 Owners (For My Carbon Fiber ES335 Project)

Citizen_Insane

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Timmay, that does look like a carbon neck. It looks like their mold is large enough that the back and neck are one single piece. That isn't an option for me since I can't get material that large for a mold, but it is the best way to build a composite guitar.

Roughtrade - thanks for the input. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with the current mold for the moment. It needs a bit of sanding work as you can see from the pictures, but once I get everything smoothed out, it should be pretty nice.

• Members

Damn! Can't see pictures at work but I'm sub'd. Will you be doing yourself a huge favor and leaving a control access in the back?

Nope, no control plate. All the electronics will be fed through the pickup and f holes. the electronics should only need to go in once so I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't want to change the way the back resonates by adding mass where the control point would be. Since the material is carbon fiber, it won't hold a fastener, so it'll need to have wood/metal backing any place there would be a screw. This would add a lot of mass to one section of the back plate and would make the guitar resonate differently.

• Members

Thanks Pete! I'm having a blast. This is the coolest way I think of to earn credits for school. I can't believe I was able to get guitar building to count for my Engineering major
:)

You never know what direction an education can take, this one may call for some follow up after the school.

• Members

Today's progress. Same setup as last time, but this time I have pics of the carbon layup thanks to my friend Dave. This is 10 layers of CF weave which should yield a top about 2mm thick.

4462948955_78ec6cc986_o.jpg

4463727056_734f56837a_o.jpg

No pics of bagging, but I'll have pics of the completed top tomorrow (fingers crossed). Should pop out just as nicely as the glass top. Actually, this won't be a top most likely, it will be a back.

• Members

i'd love to know what material cost would be on this..

You mean my cost or the cost to the school? Because my cost is $0 :p

If I were to pay for the carbon cloth it probably would have been around $120 worth of cloth....which is why I'm building as many tops as I can at school :)

They get this stuff for cheap or free from companies offloading their old stock. heck, we have about $30k worth of unidirectional prepreg carbon fiber the the fridge in the lab that Boeing gave us.

• Members

By "prepreg" I assume he means it's already impregnated with the resin or whatever carbon fiber uses in place of resin.

Yep, most of the hockey manufacturers switched to prepreg a number of years ago. It is more consistent than the old RTM methods they used.

Archived