Guitar player, inventor files patent complaint against Ibanez, other companies

Grantus

• Members

In my work as a tech journalist, I frequently check out what's going on at the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC).

A guy named Geoffrey Lee McCabe, a jazz guitarist and inventor, has filed what's called a section 337 complaint against Ibanez, Floyd Rose, and other companies claiming they are violating his patents.

In a section 337 complaint, the patent holder typically asks the USITC to ban the import of infringing products into the U.S. In this case, McCabe says he has a patent on headless or tuner-less electric guitars equipped with fulcrum tremolos.

Although many of these cases are settled, a ruling for McCabe could mean that those kinds of guitars won't be able to be imported.

McCabe's complaint is against: Floyd Rose Guitars, HHI, Ping Well Industrial, and Ibanez.

Here's the USITC press release:

http://www.usitc.gov/press_room/news_release/2010/er0329hh1.htm

• Members

The press release really left out a lot of detail -- I had to go to the USITC document site and look at the complaint itself to figure out what the alleged patents are and what particular products he's complaining about.

I uploaded a copy of the complaint here -- minus the extensive exhibits. But it looks like he's specifically targeting the Floyd Rose "Speedloader," the Ibanez "SynchroniZR" trem unit, some of the Ibanez "Edge-Zero" trem units (with the "Zero Point System"), & guitars that have those units installed on them from the factory. Apparently Kahler licenses the technology in some of McCabe's patents and incorporates that technology in their products.

• Members

The press release really left out a lot of detail -- I had to go to the USITC document site and look at the complaint itself to figure out what the alleged patents are and what particular products he's complaining about.

I uploaded a copy of the complaint
-- minus the extensive exhibits. But it looks like he's specifically targeting the Floyd Rose "Speedloader," the Ibanez "SynchroniZR" trem unit, some of the Ibanez "Edge-Zero" trem units (with the "Zero Point System"), & guitars that have those units installed on them from the factory. Apparently Kahler licenses the technology in some of McCabe's patents and incorporates that technology in their products.

Good job, you had more patience to dig for that stuff than I did.

• Members

In my work as a tech journalist, I frequently check out what's going on at the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC).

A guy named Geoffrey Lee McCabe, a jazz guitarist and inventor, has filed what's called a section 337 complaint against Ibanez, Floyd Rose, and other companies claiming they are violating his patents.

In a section 337 complaint, the patent holder typically asks the USITC to ban the import of infringing products into the U.S. In this case, McCabe says he has a patent on headless or tuner-less electric guitars equipped with fulcrum tremolos.

Although many of these cases are settled, a ruling for McCabe could mean that those kinds of guitars won't be able to be imported.

McCabe's complaint is against: Floyd Rose Guitars, HHI, Ping Well Industrial, and Ibanez.

Here's the USITC press release:

Do you think he has a case?

Archived