I just got schooled on Ebay.

guitarcapo

• Members

Here's a scenario. An item starts at $25, you're willing to pay $100 and you put in your bid with 5 days left, another guy who's willing to pay $50 comes along with 3 days left and your bid goes up to $52.50. By bidding early you're giving that guy 3 days to decide he's really willing to pay $75. Given people's competitive natures it's pretty likely he'll raise his max, now if he goes high enough to win that's an OK outcome, if he's willing to pay more than you are more power to him. The main benefit of sniping is that it saves you money in the cases where the other guy quits before you do.

I don't generally bother to snipe myself but if it's a rare item that I really want to win without paying a huge premium I think it's helpful. If there's already a bunch of bidders it probably won't work, but it can help you avoid a testosterone-fueled last minute bidding war at least (and I know I've lost my head and bid more than I should in the last minute myself).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow...a whole thread of needlessly complicated ebay bidding strategies. Snip this don't do that...

You guys are bad poker players aren't you?

What's the max you want to pay? Bid it. Go to bed. Did you win? Yes? Great! No? Oh well maybe next time.

What someone else does is completely irrelevant.

Who gives a {censored} if someone beat you by a dollar...if you have the self discipline to have a hard cap on your bid then mentally there is no issue. You tip your hat to the guy who payed more than you wanted too; even if it's 25 {censored}ing cents. Snipping is irrelevant unless you deep down somewhere were willing to go higher then your "maximum". In which case you don't have any self discipline and should probably avoid places like ebay which play on your impulse buying instincts.

OP the ONLY thing you got right in this thread was the title. You got schooled. So why are you trying to make it out like it's someone else's fault YOU bid too much? Man up and stop gambling.

• Members

Wow...a whole thread of needlessly complicated ebay bidding strategies. Snip this don't do that...

What's the max you want to pay? Bid it. Go to bed. Did you win? Yes? Great! No? Oh well maybe next time.

Who gives a {censored} if someone beat you by a dollar...if you have the self discipline to have a hard cap on your bid then mentally there is no issue. You tip your hat to the guy who payed more than you wanted too; even if it's 25 {censored}ing cents. Snipping is irrelevant unless you deep down somewhere were willing to go higher then your "maximum". In which case you don't have any self discipline and should probably avoid places like ebay which play on your impulse buying instincts.

OP the ONLY thing you got right in this thread was the title. You got schooled. So why are you trying to make it out like it's someone else's fault YOU bid too much? Man up and stop gambling.

I don't think you read the post very well. I didn't see ANY complicated bidding strategies there.

Have you been having a tough time lately? I've noticed that your posts seem to be really angry and full of negativity. You never used to be like that.

• Members

I don't think you read the post very well. I didn't see ANY complicated bidding strategies there.

Have you been having a tough time lately? I've noticed that your posts seem to be really angry and full of negativity. You never used to be like that.

lol...no not at all...lol....

The curses in the above weren't really out of anger...if they came across like that...(well..unless people are trying to defend racial slurs..lol...even then there's not much anger...more of a sense of disappointment in humanity... :)

More out of confusion as to why people make simple things so complicated. Or why this is even an issue in the first place. When I say complicated I simply meaning the fact that he's got this little method in his head where he thinks he's found a way to prevent scammers and he is now upset it didn't work. Rather than just not worrying about things you have absolutely no control over (other peoples bidding practices) and concentrating on the things you DO have control of. The most you are willing to pay.

• Members

...and THAT is exactly why you snipe - so your desire for the product (and your desire's relative dollar amount) does not influence the bidding war (and doesn't set the table for sketchy behaviour). There is a psychology to an eBay auction...YOU JUST WON! No, you didn't 'win'...you bought. Many times, in the heat of the auction one will get caught up in their desire to have the item and go beyond what they wanted to spend. Then they have to pay for the shipping too. OUCH!

When you bid a day in advance it gives the wishy-washys a chance to look around and see if they can get the item for less somewhere else and if they can't then they are back and willing to bid more on the eBay item. It just gives people too much time to consider things. It also sucks that eBay changed it's ways a year or two ago (or more?) so that you can't see who is bidding. That is simply shady.

Figure out your max in advance, then put in your max on a snipe.

This is EXACTLY why I snipe as well. This way the auction works the way that it should in the first place, with your max price being the limit.

Once you put your bid up there and let people mess with the auction and strategize or just do questionable stuff it gets ridiculous.

I look at the 5 days before the auction ends as advertising time. The real auction doesn't happen until about 30 seconds left.

• Members

This is EXACTLY why I snipe as well. This way the auction works the way that it should in the first place, with your max price being the limit.

Once you put your bid up there and let people mess with the auction and strategize or just do questionable stuff it gets ridiculous.

I look at the 5 days before the auction ends as advertising time. The real auction doesn't happen until about 30 seconds left.

But how does that change what YOU want to do? You either want it or don't at a specific price right? Why do you care what other people do or don't do? How can someone "mess" with an auction if your max price is higher than theirs?

If your putting up a price and then hoping people don't bid it up close to that so you can save a few bucks, then you are obviously subconsciously bidding more than you really want to pay, and you shouldn't have made that bid in the first place. Bid what you want and consider any savings a bonus and if you don't save anything then you got the item at what you wanted to pay.

• Members

soundcreation...just read my post again. There are many other factors that influence people to bid. Sure you may know your own max but why give that away? Why expose it to the numerous people who don't know their max and subject yourself to canceled bids like the OP?

The method is simple and you often get your item for less than your max. It is like crossing the street in an area of lower traffic. You still look both ways but the odds are in your favour already and you lower your risk.

ashasha...you do that too? You are friggin' brilliant!!

HAHA!

• Members

I hear you - if he cancels his bid, it should cancel all his bids, so that your high bid goes back to before he started running it up.

I do see your guys point on this believe me. And daves point should be heeded by ebay....it does sound like a small glitch in the system.

But in spite of all that...presumably your max should be what you feel is a fair price so I don't see the point in getting all that upset if someone runs the price up to that amount...legit or not. Again cause you can't control other people, you can only control what you want to spend. And if you are "hoping" to save money then you are probably spending more than you really want to.

• Members

But how does that change what YOU want to do? You either want it or don't at a specific price right? Why do you care what other people do or don't do? How can someone "mess" with an auction if your max price is higher than theirs?

If your putting up a price and then hoping people don't bid it up close to that so you can save a few bucks, then you are obviously subconsciously bidding more than you really want to pay, and you shouldn't have made that bid in the first place. Bid what you want and consider any savings a bonus and if you don't save anything then you got the item at what you wanted to pay.

That's not even close to what I am doing.

Here's an example of what happens when you do it your way:

I bid $300 as my maximum price. Someone else sees the same item and they start bidding in $1 increments until reaches his $200 cap. About 2 hours later he talks himself into going up a few more dollars and eventually hits $301.

Now if there were 12 of us bidding that may not matter, but the point is that 2 days before the auction ends I am already at my max and out of the auction. And the other guy never would have went past $200 without having time to dwell on it.

Now in my scenario I bid at the last possible second a max bid of $300. The $1 clicky asshole bid $200 and I win it for $201 and not $302 or not at all.

And one other reason for sniping...I've seen an item that I liked many times that I was going to bid on, but I found one in better shape with a BIN price that is better. If I was committed to another auction it wouldn't be cool to back out.

• Members

That's not even close to what I am doing.

Here's an example of what happens when you do it your way:

I bid $300 as my maximum price. Someone else sees the same item and they start bidding in $1 increments until reaches his $200 cap. About 2 hours later he talks himself into going up a few more dollars and eventually hits $301.

Now if there were 12 of us bidding that may not matter, but the point is that 2 days before the auction ends I am already at my max and out of the auction. And the other guy never would have went past $200 without having time to dwell on it.

Now in my scenario I bid at the last possible second a max bid of $300. The $1 clicky asshole bid $200 and I win it for $201 and not $302 or not at all.

And one other reason for sniping...I've seen an item that I liked many times that I was going to bid on, but I found one in better shape with a BIN price that is better. If I was committed to another auction it wouldn't be cool to back out.

Yeah but your entire post is predicated on the idea that you know what that other guy is thinking. I'm saying you can't possibly know what the other guy would have done. There is every bit as much chance that some other guy is snipping just like you at the end of an auction by bidding 302 dollars leaving you equally pissed off. Or the first dude in your equation really just didn't want it anyway. Or he did and was always going to come back at you from the get go.

Maybe you've lost some auctions where you bid high early and you think that because some guy had time to think about it then he came back and out bid you. But judge based on a few events like that. I'm sure given enough time and auctions you have just as many cases where your bid stands up and people don't come back on you. Like in Poker people only remember their bad beats and not many of the good hands they've won.

I just think the whole idea that you guys base this around is trying to "out think" some other guy but you can't possibly know what his intentions are. In that aspect bidding is not poker at all. The only variable you can control in this situation is yourself.

Your last point is valid. But it still seems to me like you are relying on others for your level of commitment. If you see one you like, and bid on it and then another one comes along that's better and cheaper...well...that's life. If you made a commitment, stick too it.

• Members

That is the point though. If it isn't legit then it isn't legit.

Well I do agree that something like what dave suggested should be in place to prevent that kind of thing. Do you know if the issue has been raised with ebay and if they've made a response as to why they don't?

• Members

eBay doesn't respond to many issues. Even ones that would be in their favour they don't seem to want to deal with IE: the guy who was selling an Epi Les Paul for a dollar with $350 shipping. It was reported up the ying-yang and eBay left the auction up.

It's just eBay. There is good and there is bad. One must navigate.

• Members

I hear ya.

I have to say I don't deal with ebay very often. I usually buy stuff out of japan using yahoo auctions through rinkya. They will often warn people not to bid with sellers that look like they are doing that pumping up stuff.

I suppose ebay doesn't give a {censored} about anything provided they get their commission.

• Members

I have to say I don't deal with ebay very often. I usually buy stuff out of japan using yahoo auctions through rinkya. They will often warn people not to bid with sellers that look like they are doing that pumping up stuff.

I've looked at a few things there but was too chicken to test the waters. Interesting though.

• Members

I've looked at a few things there but was too chicken to test the waters. Interesting though.

I've done 7 guitars from them and they really have been great. I mean it's still your risk in terms of checking the sellers feedback and such...and their fees add about 10 to 15 % depending on the item...but for the service they provide I'd say it's a fair price. And it's about the only way to get those guitars if you're into them so I do it. If you're patient enough deals can be had through them even with fees and shipping costs. Although recently it seems a bit dry.

• Members

And it's about the only way to get those guitars if you're into them so I do it.

I really like MIJ quality and I have an interest in quite a few 'Japan market only' guitars too so if I wasn't trying to decrease my numbers I'd probably look there and consider it heavily.

• Members

I've had to learn the hard way to not get very attached to items that aren't even mine yet, and quite probably never will be or should be for that matter. I've bid higher than I should just to "chase the auction" or to outdo the other bidders.

A phenomena I've observed on ebay countless times and exactly why I only snipe. The psychology involved in auctions pretty much dictates you have to snipe unless you don't care about either A) winning or B) overpaying.

• Members

I snipe all the time, nothing wrong with that...and obviously most knowledgeable EBayers buyers do it...after all, I get outbid in the last 5 seconds all the time. BUT that does not change the fact that I only bid what I really am willing to pay, in other words what the item is worth to me. If I win, great...If I lose...oh well, move on to the next.

• Members

I snipe all the time, nothing wrong with that...and obviously most knowledgeable EBayers buyers do it...after all, I get outbid in the last 5 seconds all the time. BUT that does not change the fact that I only bid what I really am willing to pay, in other words what the item is worth to me. If I win, great...If I lose...oh well, move on to the next.

zactly!

• Members

I only bid on what I'm willing to pay for something after searching for the current going used price. If I lose it is on to the next auction, I never over pay for anything. What is so hard about this concept? I always but my top bid in 5 miuntes before it ends. I've won plenty of auctions this way, if not on to the next auction, its not like there is only one of these in the world.

• Members

Whenever I bid on Ebay...I never snipe. It never makes sense to me. People who get mad when they lose an auction to a sniper just didn't bid high enough.

They see the item get away...they see the price...and they are mad because they wanted to pay THAT. To which I say: when you snipe, you have to enter some huge amount...and so is the other guy. Whatever that huge amount is JUST BID IT. If you bid a HUGE amount...you will always beat that sniper...and the price will always be a few bucks more than the sniper bid...even if he did it 5 seconds before the auction.

O.k....so how did I get schooled?

Well I'm looking at this amp I want to buy and I enter a huge final price like I always do. A price where if I lose I will be HAPPY that I didn't pay THAT and some other idiot did. Anyway with one day left in the auction, some douschebag bids all the way up until he beats my price...and then cancels his final bid (for apparently "bidding in error")....leaving me the high bidder. I'm thinking this MIGHT be a shill bidder working for the seller...or maybe a disgruntled bidder who feels if he isn't going to win the auction, he's going to make someone else hurt for it. What's more he does it at about 8 hours left in the auction, so by the time I find out, I can't cancel MY bid because this auction is tainted m(you can't cancel bids with under 8 hours left). I informed the seller that there was some funny business to the auction. Fortunately some other guy outbid me....but it's changed my whole idea about bidding on something and forgetting about it. You are really suceptable to "shill bidding" if you bid early

Now at last you see good reason for sniping!! I realised this a long time ago. The only time I bid early is if I cant be there when the auction is ending. I know there is sniping websites about but I'm not sure I can trust my details to them so haven't gone that route.

Archived