What are your thoughts on Korean Epi's?

Stricken

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every MIK guitar that comes into my shop is there for a pup or hardware upgrade. The quality and setup is second to none. The {censored} they put on them is just that. {censored}. Upgrade to a bone nut, good pups, tuners and bridge and you got a monster.

• Members

Every MIK guitar that comes into my shop is there for a pup or hardware upgrade. The quality and setup is second to none. The {censored} they put on them is just that. {censored}. Upgrade to a bone nut, good pups, tuners and bridge and you got a monster.

Cannot disagree.

• Members

I have a Chinese Epi.

It's all stock currently. They kick ass with a good setup, and kick more ass with an electronics swap.

I played ultra 2 a few months ago and liked it a lot. I'm not overly fond of Epiphone's satin finishes (which that one has on the neck) but it's a small beef.

• Members

Thanks for the input. Upgrade electronics and hardware.

My biggest concern is the neck. My ICT has a painted neck, and I hate the feel of it. But it's a glossy smooth finish, I remember the neck on the Ultra II being a little different. I have to play it sometime.

• Members

I think I've got 3 MIK Epis.

An old Dot...nothing wrong with it...even the electrics are serviceable

A G400...pickups were junk.

And a 58' Korina V...sounds and plays great, but the toggle switch and pots feel cheap.

Conclusion....I have no Idea! :D

:thu:

• Members

My Epi LP (standard plus top, I think) is a 2003 MIK. After a pickup upgrade, I'm extremely happy with it. Not crazy about the stock pickups at all.

I may do the nut and bridge at some point, just because of acute chronic tinkerer syndrome - but I am happy with those and the tuners as-is.

I sanded the neck to a rougher finish. As mentioned, the gloss felt very "sticky" before that. It now feels perfect.

It easily feels and plays (and now, sounds) well enough to be a keeper for the foreseeable future. Not just decent or okay, but pretty darn good/great.

• Members

I have two Epi's - older MIK that I did my Peter Green LP project on and the new MIC '54 Oxblood that is waiting on a set of BG Lizards. Overall, I am very happy with the quality of both instruments.

MIK Les Paul - Peter Greenified:

IMG_4376.jpg

MIC/Set Up in USA 1954 Les Paul Oxblood:

IMG_4449.jpg

• Members

I have an older MIK Epi LP (1990 or so, Samick plant) it's quite solid. I've replaced the bridge HB but left the neck. Nice slim neck, sounds like a LP, what's not to like? Guy I got it from gigged it regularly and it seems to have held up fine, he moved up to a USA Custom.

Long story short, MIK is NOT a USA custom shop, "wow" guitar. But if you want a reasonable price for a good serviceable LP, they're a good choice. YMMV

• Members

Cannot disagree.

I've had many MIK that had no issues with hardware or pickups. Just because it is made in 'X' doesn't mean that it is the same as everything else made in 'X'.

Regardless of country of origin one must still pick a winner:

ESP/LTD made in Korea:

IMGP0287.jpg

None with metal issues and all with factory Seymour Duncan & EMG pickups. Some of them even have factory original *GASP* USA Sperzel tuners!

Rule #1: Don't generalize.

• Members

I've owned an Epi G400 custom and Sheraton, both MIK. Both great guitars in build, finish and playability. The pickups in the SG were actually very good sounding. I still really regret trading that thing away. The Sheraton's electronics were not so great. I wouldn't think twice about picking up another MIK Epi.

• Members

I have a 04 Unsung, I like it a lot I've had it 5 years. I had a problem with the bridge buzzing, probably also down to my fiddling.

The Pups are usable for me. I may change the pots at somepoint, they feel solid, but are a bit on-off.

Oh and the inside's a bit messy

There are all my critisms to my guitar. But through the AC30 amplug I have turn the tone down to that transition point, it sounds fanyastic very British slow blues.

• Members

What he said!

The base materials will always be the same as any other guitar manufacturer - don't get me started on wood quality or density because companies do not do incoming quality inspection on their wood for density. Fretwork can be a crap shoot, but I've never come across anything that couldn't be fixed.

• Members

I had an Epi LP MIK years ago. It took months to find one that was really good and even then it was lacking just a bit. I'm pretty hard on Epi's, but I am sure that with a hardware and pickup upgrade that it would have been pretty damn nice. Not a Gibson killer, but more than serviceable.

But for my money the semi-hollows are where they really do their best. I've owned a few from Korea and even from China and have been pretty happy with them. Pickup upgrades make a world of difference, but other than that they are decent.

Archived