Johnny Winter and Leslie West

jkay

• Members
A long time ago I heard a very early Johnny Winter song that was totally different than anything I've heard from him. It wasn't blues or rock and roll, but a trippy psychedelic tune, almost like early Pink Floyd. I've never come across it again, but it was very cool.

you can listen to a sample of LIVIN' IN THE BLUES here to see if its the one you were thinking of. http://www.fairtracks.de/fairtracks/portal/album.do?albumId=8425#

• Members
Fine, fine music. Rick Derringer's rhythm guitar cuts out during JW's solo on Johnny Be Goode, but there is wicked high energy.

JohnnyWinter.jpg

Not taking a THING away from Johnny... one of my biggest influences, but Rick Derringer's contribution to the "Live -And" album is immense! Both his lead work and his incredible accompaniment chops really gave JDW a SOLID platform to work his magic from.

• Members

Somehow, I've missed out on their greatness all these years. Kind of re-discovered them on Pandora the last few weeks.

They are both the {censored}. Underappreciated in the pantheon of great guitarists.

Both guys were (and continue to be) huge influences on me in the late 60's. Johnny could spew licks at a rapid fire rate and Leslie was King of economy. Both had instantly identifiable vibratos and tone.

• Members

Leslie West is my inspiration to play guitar. The man can play some really heavy
tastefull licks. Saw him in the 70's with Mountain and West Bruce and Laing and
he really brung it... {censored}en' loud, too

I never saw Johnny Winter, but had several albums back then. I guess that I
should get them back on CD just to ground myself in good music. IIRC the Johnny
Winter And stuff was stellar!

Archived