Johnny Winter and Leslie West

jkay

• Members

Somehow, I've missed out on their greatness all these years. Kind of re-discovered them on Pandora the last few weeks.

They are both the {censored}. Underappreciated in the pantheon of great guitarists.

• Members

I've watched Johnny Winter from the beginning. The last time I saw him at the Yale Hotel last year I got him to sign my guitar.

CIMG0379.jpg

CIMG0380.jpg

He sat through the whole set and played his Lazer the whole night except for the last song when he brought out his Firebird for some slide playing.

I've seen Leslie West once and he was great. Of course I had to learn the lead for Mississippi Queen, note for note. I mean,...what guitarist doesn't try to learn that stuff when they're learning?

• Members

Johnny Winter helped me win a bet once. It was back in college (a very long time ago) and I was having a conversation with an African American friend about music. He made a statement about white people not being able to really sing the blues. So we made a bet, and without showing him the album cover I put on Johnny Winter's first album. My friend listened and then said, "that guy ain't white!" So I pulled out the album cover (vinyl in those days) and said they don't get much whiter." We both had a good laugh and I won the bet.

• Members

Leslie West is right at the top of my all time favorite guitarists. Unbelievable tone and the man can play. I have been chasing the Leslie West tone for years.

Johnny Winter isn't a slouch either. I haven't really listened to him for many years. I'll have to pull out my old LPs and take a listen.

• Members

I used to wake up every morning before school and put on "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" from Johnny Winter And...Live. That groove just got the juices flowing. "Turn that crap down and gitcher butt ready for school!" was the parental wail from the bottom of the stairs.

And just in case you were wondering, Johnny Winter And...Live is a QUINTESSENTIAL live 70's disc. Defines blues/rock RAW!!!!

• Members

I used to wake up every morning before school and put on "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" from Johnny Winter And...Live. That groove just got the juices flowing. "Turn that crap down and gitcher butt ready for school!" was the parental wail from the bottom of the stairs.

And just in case you were wondering, Johnny Winter And...Live is a QUINTESSENTIAL live 70's disc. Defines blues/rock RAW!!!!

Fine, fine music. Rick Derringer's rhythm guitar cuts out during JW's solo on Johnny Be Goode, but there is wicked high energy.

JohnnyWinter.jpg

• Members

My absolute two favorites back in the day, have seen them both a bunch of times over the years starting late 70's and until a few years ago. Saw them both at their best and worst really. Saw Johnny on drugs (nearly fell off stage) and clean, saw Leslie with no teeth and then with new teeth (he had them fixed when he was doing the movie The Money Pit), and both fat and skinny . They both were and are great and have persevered and gotten better. I even remember seeing Johnny when he first started playing ONLY blues, and we hated it...we kept screaming out for Bony Maroney and some of his rock stuff...but he stuck to his guns and really was great!

• Members

I stumbled across a site called 'wolfgang's vault' recently. Despite the Van Halen sounding name it is actually a site /archive of the great Bill Graham. so it is all live recordings many from the Fillmore days, a bit of just about everybody from the 70's, but there are some fabulous concerts of Mountain and Johnny Winter. Just frickin' GREAT playing! I saw Johnny Winter in 74 but alas never saw Mountain or West. But Mountain really were the killer band from that time.

• Members

Of course I've heard of Johnny Winter.

It's just that in life, there's only so much time, and for whatever reason those guys didn't grab me thirty years ago the way they do now. I had time for Zep and the Allman Bros, but not so much for Johnny Winter.

Windows open and close and open all the time, if you know what I mean. Trying to make up for lost time now.

• Members

A long time ago I heard a very early Johnny Winter song that was totally different than anything I've heard from him. It wasn't blues or rock and roll, but a trippy psychedelic tune, almost like early Pink Floyd. I've never come across it again, but it was very cool.

• Members

A long time ago I heard a very early Johnny Winter song that was totally different than anything I've heard from him. It wasn't blues or rock and roll, but a trippy psychedelic tune, almost like early Pink Floyd. I've never come across it again, but it was very cool.

Livin' in the Blues is pretty psychedelic. (couldn't find a clip)

Avacado Green is very Dylan-like. One of my favorite JDW songs.

[YOUTUBE]jnYwmziF9DM[/YOUTUBE]

Archived