Flat wounds! Who knew?

chuck1016

• Members

So I'm continuing my cycle of rediscovering guitars and I decided to pull my Artcore AS73 out of the closet. Over all it sounds pretty good, but it still had an annoying buzz and a thin-ness that I just can't pinpoint. I swapped the pots and caps a while back to better match the 90s I have in it, I've fiddled with amp settings and volume/tone settings and it's almost there...but not quite. Just for curiosity's sake I put .11-.50 flat wounds on it and voila! no more buzz, big beefy bottom end is back, nice snappy attack, it sounds fantastic and feels more...I dunno, solid. Granted, I'm not bending notes like I usually do, but that might be a good thing to change up at this point.

I was always under the impression that flat wound strings were to blame for the dead, muffled tone of contemporary jazz players but I stand corrected. You have to intentionally remove all hint of treble to achieve that sound :D

I don't think I would put flats on any of my other guitars, but they seem to be just what my semi needed.

• Members

As of right now, I have flats on my #1 strat and on the strat I've been playing the most lately (because of a new neck and new pickups).

They are definitely a lot different sounding than rounds... but bending is kind of a pisser.

• Members

I put flats on a tele once - didn't like em much and ended up selling the guitar bc of it. In retrospect I could have just put regular strings on it and keep it! Hahaha. Oops!

The flats were kinda cool but just not me. I might try them again one day - but only on a guitar I don't mind selling. Hehehe

Archived