The Great Grand Single Coil Shout Out!!!!! Bring your science to the equation!!!!!

Les Paul Lover

• Members

The situation:

Been wanting a strat for a long long time now. :)

From the strat offering, my pick would be the standard because of its pick ups/tone.

I was quite happy with that until I tried a guitar (alder body + maple neck) with those:

Di Marzio Virtual Vintage 54 (Alnico 5)

Bridge: Output 137mV, DC Resistance 7.86K

Neck & Middle: Output 130mV, DC Resistance 7.64K

That guitar made the USA standard strat bland, thin, very substandard and irremarkable in direct comparison (tone wise). :confused:

I

• Members

And please, what are forbon fiber bobbins?
:)

Forbon fiber is a compressed paper type material used to make the tops and bottoms of the original strat pickups by Fender. This is opposed to the plastic that is used on many modern pickups. This way of making a bobbin has the magnet poles right up against the magnet wire. Where plastic bobbins have a plastic barrier between the poles and the coil wire. I believe this takes away from the vintage tones.

• Members

I have not tried the Dimarzios you are speaking of, but typically pickups in that range lack that true vintage tone.

Forbon fiber is a compressed paper type material used to make the tops and bottoms of the original strat pickups by Fender. This is opposed to the plastic that is used on many modern pickups. This way of making a bobbin has the magnet poles right up against the magnet wire. Where plastic bobbins have a plastic barrier between the poles and the coil wire. I believe this takes away from the vintage tones.

Ah. That's better!!!!

And what are your favorite strat/single coil pick ups?

What makes them so?

Archived