Replacement Tele neck - string buzz question

mmkco

• Members

Hi everyone,

I just got a Mighty Mite Soft-V Neck for my Squier Affinity Butterscotch Tele. Got it bolted on and strung-up. It's a super tight perfect fit and feels really good. The only problem I am having is on the high E string. when you play it open, there is kind of a "Sitar" effect as the string rings out and there is very little sustain. I think it might be buzzing on the 1st fret just a touch. I'm hoping I can solicit some advice from you guys as to what this might be so I can try to fix it myself instead of having to take it to be set-up as I'm pretty broke right now. Maybe a neck angle thing?? Many thanks for any advice!!

Mike

• Members

Sounds like a nut slot that's too low, too wide, or not at the proper angle. By angle I mean the 'take off' point isn't right at the fretboard edge but back in the nut a bit and the string is buzzing against the nut itself.

Could also be the break angle going to the tuners. Do you have string trees on this neck?

• Members

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is if the guitar has the three saddle setup the string may be touching one of the screws that adjust saddle height. This can cause what you are talking about.

No 3 saddle set-up. It has the 6 individual saddles. Looks like maybe a new nut then?

• Members

No 3 saddle set-up. It has the 6 individual saddles. Looks like maybe a new nut then?

It may not have to be trashed yet. Depending on what's wrong a few light strokes with a nut file may fix it. That'll at least remove and burrs or angle issues without lowering the slot too much. If you get the slot to the right shape and it ends up being too low, then it's time for a new nut.

• Members

Or mix up some goop out of baking soda and superglue. Fill in your nut slot with this and file it back down. To check, put your finger on the 3rd fret on the string in question. You should have about a business card clearance between the 1st fret and the string. Sounds like you aint got no gap at all.
Don't y'all love my purfekt gramur?

• Members

Love the grammar!! I especially love to hear that maybe I'm not totally SOL just yet. Thanks for the ideas guys!! Now I need to try & find something to use for a "nut file." greatly appreciated!!

Archived