How many is too many?

NinjaModder

• Members

Depends on what you want to do. If you are buying guitars to collect them, buy as many as you want. If you are ever going to start gigging and use alternate tunings, have enough for each tuning (so I need, like, 12 xD). If you are a tone junkie, get enough for all the tones you want (lp, sg, strat, tele, semi hollow, etc.) If you are just randomly playing for fun, just buy one or two for the genres you play, and spend the rest on better equipment.

In the end, its all about what you need, what you want, and what you can afford. Just don't go into debt for a bunch of guitars you don't really need/want.

• Members

I've got three electrics and one electro-acoustic, and two small(ish) amps. I really couldn't justify more than that, because I have to spend a lot (time as well as money) on and with my son.

Having more would be ridiculous really for another reason, as I only do the occasional gig (4 in the last 9 months or so), and to be honest I use my acoustic much more than my electrics.

So for me, I probably already have too many, but with the exception of the acoustic, which is a Martin, and which I use the most, they are cheapies or middle level guits.

• Members

I'm convinced this is an Internet Age dilemma... it's so EASY to shop, compare and buy gear these days.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that we get to surf the World's Largest Gear Store all day long. But for all of you young pups out there, this is how it used to be in the Dark Ages (pre-1995 or so):

The guitars in your house were pretty much the ONLY guitars you ever saw unless you went to a music shop (or played with other guitarists). And then you were at the mercy of what the local brick-and-mortar had in stock on the day of your visit. Hell, the shop across town could have your dream guitar for sale at that very moment, but unless you went there, you would never know.

Or you would need to check the classifieds in the paper. No pictures. Short descriptions. "1985 Strat, black with case, call Ed at 555...etc." Seriously, it was a total pain. This is why I had exactly *one* guitar for the first 20 years I played.

Oh, and today I have five guitars - with every one, the Internet was a factor.

• Members

I think more then 3 electrics is too many.

Have three that you really love and sell the rest.

3, that's the magic number.

:thu: p-90 LP, strat & Guild Starfire III hollow w HBs, covers about all the general tones I'm looking for.

• Members

I think I have 11 guitars, and I dont know how many is too many...

BUT that said im going to sell 2-4 of them to

A) buy other gear

b) I never play them for whatever reason

c) pay bills

the ones im thinking of selling

1) PRS CE 22 Silver

2) Fender Tele FMT

3) Variax 700

4) Reverend Rocco

• Members

When all I had was my old Ibanez I bought new in '77 I had modded it with a 3 position HB bridge , center strat and a fat Kat neck pickup, to get more range of tone. The only thing it needed was a whammy. I still play out, it almost every week.

• Members

I think once it gets to the point where some guitars are rarely, if ever played, then you ought to consider selling them.

However, there's nothing wrong with wanting to collect guitars. Not a thing. If you only bring out a guitar once in a blue moon, there you go. That's all the justification I'd need. Sure, I may not always want a Gretsch sound. But, even if it's every once in a while, I'd bring it out and have a damn good time playing it. And that makes having it worthwhile.

But it's an individual thing. You could have 5 different identical Strats that are only different colors and if it brings you any enjoyment, it doesn't matter one bit if someone says it's excessive. It's your money.

• Members

I say only you can decide how many is too many. As a high schooler and beginning guitarist, I'm sure you don't need that many guitars. But, as long as you're taking care of any other financial responsibilities first, nobody can tell you how to spend your money.

• Members

if more then 50% dont get played with in a months time i would say thats too many.. hell i only have 5 and im ready to stop.. i have all my tones covered.. i dont get all them in rotation.. and it bugs me..

i dont collect i dont get having identical guitars save the color or just a neck or such...

but each his own..

• Members

Not sure, as I've never had the funds to keep everything I want around. Right now I have 2 main guitars, and 2 backups. I hardly play the 2 backups. I'll be picking up another main guitar soon and I'll be pretty happy at that point.

I honestly don't play enough at home to justify more than a few guitars.

Archived