How many is too many?

NinjaModder

• Members

I have been playing guitar for only 2 years (few years before that when I was younger but I gave up on it) and I have accumulated 8 guitars within that time period as you can see in my sig. My Harmony and Epiphone Dot were inherited but other than that I have bought everything. I am just a high school student with a part time job, which I have held since my addiction, and it seems that ALL of my money gets poured into this.

But how many is too many? I have heard that you can never have too many but I have just come to realize that I have 8 different guitars and that I have spent way too much on them all. I even found excuses to buy more. For example I accidently chipped a tiny tiny tiny part of the finish off of my seagull so I went out and bought my Epi Texan to replace it. Though now the seagull is my take outside beater guitar.

So HC, how many is too many?

• Members

6-7 hours on days I am not in rehearsals or at the studio, then sometimes more. But being a guitar player is my job.

Now for the bedroom or living room rocker, I guess it depends on how many guitars do you want to own. There isn't a magic number.

• Members

I've got a little under 40 right now.
But all I do is work and play guitar..
I'm hoping to get back into recording soon after a 7 year hiatus..

but in short, I like having all my bases covered.
In all honesty though, I would say 10 or so is more than enough

• Members

I have 10. That's too many. It's too much of a pain to move them all, especially including my 7 amps. I'll be getting rid of my MIM telecaster and Crate V8 next time I go to my hometown; going to give them to my good friend. The rest or the guitars I'm keeping for now because they're all different and I really like them.

• Members

Im in the same boat as our OP. :rolleyes:

Been farting around with thwe guitar now for about 2.5yrs and Ive accumulated 9 guitars, 3 amps, and a few pedals.

Ive actually sold 4 guitars and an amp, only to fund another though. :facepalm:

• Members

Whatever you're comfortable with. I accumulated quite a few trying to fill every niche, but I just liquidated many of them because I can do most of what I need to do with a tele, a 335, and a six string acoustic. And now I'm not tripping over guitars everywhere. I figure at this point one good tele is better than 8 budget electrics.

• Members

It's all about diversity for me, as a player and collector. I play professionally but even if i didn't I'd probably still have 18 electrics. I just recently almost owned 2 exactly identical high end guitars then came to my senses. The ones you regret are the guitars that you don't bond with as a player.

• Members

There isn't an objective magical number. It certainly can become an addiction and become unhealthy, but if you got the $$$ and the interest and desire, buy however many you want.

I like to keep it around 3-4 electrics (I also have a bass and an acoustic.)

More than that and some don't get played often enough and gather dust. Also, it gets to be a chore (for me--some people enjoy it) to maintain a ton of gear. I've had tons and tons of instruments in the past. Keeping it minimal makes me happier and I spend more time focusing on playing instead of fueling GAS.

I don't buy that "I have to have 25 guitars so I can replicate every tone I like by every guitarist I like" horse{censored}.

Because it's horse{censored}.

• Members

I have around 13 or 14 not really even sure don't want to bother to count. I was up to around 20 or so. Realized I was better off trying to play rather buy more or upgrade & mod them. I have a solid 4 that are always being played and that is probably the number I need/want. I have been giving away the others to kids who are learning to play or want to learn to play. I try to pick up a few cheap amps to give along with the guitar. My collection has been pretty low end, chinese guitars, squiers etc... There are also a few with some sentimental value but those remain in the case for my kids one day.

Archived