Roller Bridges

Armchair Bronco

• Members

I'm thinking about adding a roller bridge to my Bigsby B5 equipped SG Classic. Gibsons generally have a 12" fretboard radius, but roller bridges from StewMac all have a 14" radius.

StewMac Locking Roller Bridge

StewMac Schaller Roller Brider

Looks like GuitarFetish has a couple of roller bridges that might work:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wibrrobrlost.html

yhst-50206111187217_2100_36433869

http://store.guitarfetish.com/robrchplfile.html

yhst-50206111187217_2100_26424677

Not sure if these are 12" radii, but the ad mentions "Gibson" and "Les Paul". Anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

I had a Schaller on my Gretsch 6120 and I did not like it. It did not sustain as well as the OEM rocking bar and the guitar sounded thin.

But when I put it on my Guild Starfire (no Bigsby--Trapeze tail) it sounded great.

I think that when I wiggled the Bigsby on my Gretsch, the rollers absorbed a lot of the vibration and killed the tone as they moved.

My Rickenbacker 650 Dakota has a different style Schaller with threaded rollers and it works great, but the rollers never move when you are playing and they make a lot of contact with the screw threads.

• Members

I have a Schaller roller on my Heritage. One thing that is a pain is that the rollers can slide around horizontally on the screws when the string is not strung. So you can screw up your string spacing by accident if you're not careful. And it seems to rattle a bit. Nothing horribly wrong with it but I plan to eventually go to a traditional Gibson style setup on mine in the near future. Just as much for aesthetics as functionality.

• Members

With so many rattle-y moving parts, roller bridges tend to be tone-suckers.

The work well on some guitars, but not on others. If you are concerned about pitch stability with the Bigsby, don't blame the bridge. Look first at the NUT, string windings, and the string gauge. If you are using 9's, forget it. Bigsbys were never intended to be used with 9's.

• Members

I have a Schaller roller bridge on my Heritage 170CM and I works. It does not suck tone as stated by someone above. They are just sprewing bull{censored}. I do not have a Bigsby on the guitar but, if i was installing one I would not hesitate in installing the roller bridge at the same time.

• Members

I have a Schaller roller on my Heritage. One thing that is a pain is that the rollers can slide around horizontally on the screws when the string is not strung. So you can screw up your string spacing by accident if you're not careful. And it seems to rattle a bit. Nothing horribly wrong with it but I plan to eventually go to a traditional Gibson style setup on mine in the near future. Just as much for aesthetics as functionality.

Clear fingernail polish on the threads. or Hot Pink.

• Members

It does not suck tone as stated by someone above. They are just sprewing bull{censored}.

This coming from someone who believes there are only two kinds of music ("heavy" and "metal")?:facepalm:

If it works for you, fine. The simple physics of bridge construction dictate that the more moving parts in a bridge, the more vibration contact points. The more contact points, the greater the absorption of vibration, i.e. sound energy. Absorption of sound energy = tone suck.

The difference in sound may be minimal to your ears, some folks notice it, some don't. But that doesn't mean it isn't there. Again, if it works for your specific musical application, fine. Don't take my word for it, go buy one and see if it makes a difference.

• Members

I'm thinking about adding a roller bridge to my Bigsby B5 equipped SG Classic. Gibsons generally have a 12" fretboard radius, but roller bridges from StewMac all have a 14" radius.

StewMac Locking Roller Bridge

StewMac Schaller Roller Brider

Looks like GuitarFetish has a couple of roller bridges that might work:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wibrrobrlost.html

yhst-50206111187217_2100_36433869

Not sure if these are 12" radii, but the ad mentions "Gibson" and "Les Paul". Anyone have any suggestions?

For your specific guitar I would say either the Schaller or the One from GF still pictured above. The other one from GF is really for imports with the larger bushings like my Ibanez Artcore or Epiphones.

• Members

This coming from someone who believes there are only two kinds of music ("heavy" and "metal")?
:facepalm:

If it works for you, fine. The simple physics of bridge construction dictate that the more moving parts in a bridge, the more vibration contact points. The more contact points, the greater the absorption of vibration, i.e. sound energy. Absorption of sound energy = tone suck.

The difference in sound may be minimal to your ears, some folks notice it, some don't. But that doesn't mean it isn't there. Again, if it works for your specific musical application, fine. Don't take my word for it, go buy one and see if it makes a difference.

Get out your magnifying glass and take a close look at that Tune-O-matic. How much the saddle rides on a freaking screw and might have 2 contact points at the side knotches.No there is no more or less contact. So can the psudo-science Buttercup. Most guitar players treat guitars like food.They taste/hear with their eyes before even touching,smelling a guitar. I have guitars with both bridges the only difference in the Schaller roller is there are no sharp corners from the saddles. As for the heavy and metal thing.....look at the name what the hell do you expect? To see me singing the praises of that garbage of the 70's disco? There are really only 2 kinds of music. Good or bad. They just so happen to fall into either heavy or metal.

Archived