Gibson is pushing it in their spec description for a VOS '57 LP Jr

Tidal Rhythm

• Members

This is from the specs page for it on Sweetwater:

Single cutaway mahogany "slab" body in Vintage Sunburst

There's really not a lot to say about this guitar. Some may look at it and just see the limitations. Others will find some amount of charm in what is clearly a "no-nonsense" design. Look beyond its limited features list and you'll see it does have a premium quality mahogany body, albeit a "slab" design with no contours. Still, it has the distinctive Les Paul shape. The combination bridge and tailpiece is now standard equipment on many upper level instruments, proving that sometimes simple is better. If you're the kind of guitar player that is looking to simply get up on stage or into the studio and play, the 1957 Les Paul Junior Single Cutaway might make a lot of sense.
It doesn't carry the kind of price tag we generally associate with the upper-end models.
For the right player, this will be the perfect instrument!

The price? $2,499.97 :facepalm:

• Members

This Gibson Custom 1959 50th Anniversary Les Paul Standard limited solidbody electric guitar features a Sweetwater Exclusive custom finish, in addition to its status as the most accurate re-creation of a '59 Les Paul ever! From the tonewoods to the components right down to the binding, the 1959 50th Anniversary Les Paul Standard gives you the sound, feel, and vibe of the legendary LP that rocked the world half a century ago. This model is part of an ultra-limited run that's only available here at Sweetwater, so call your Sales Engineer today to get your own 1959 50th Anniversary Les Paul Standard!

Price: $5,999.97

I'm just sayin', compared to their other Custom Shop Reissue offerings, $2500 isn't so bad.

• Members

OUCH!! That's insane! Gibsons 'budget/student' model for that much? What are the folks at Gibson thinking? Are they Hell-bent on alienating every possible customer, or just desperate for cash?

For crying out loud. That's the custom shop historic reissue.

A standard production LP Jr. costs $839.

The budget/student model is now the Melody Maker, which costs $489.

• Members

For crying out loud. That's the custom shop historic reissue.

A standard production LP Jr. costs $839.

The budget/student model is now the Melody Maker, which costs $489.

IMO those prices are still ridiculous for "low-end" or "student-model" pieces. Especially when considering the current standards of industry pricing. There are literally probably 100's of models from other makers one can get for 1/2 of even the Melody Maker price with equal build quality and far more features. And then tacking on a nearly 100% price increase for one additional pickup? Really?

I mean we are *almost* into Fender American territory on the Jr. there. For what used to be a student model.

I don't care one way or another personally; everybody is free to buy what they like and i don't begrudge them. But I can certainly see the point about the pricing scheme being more than a bit out of touch with what more other manufacturers are doing.

• Members

IMO those prices are still ridiculous for "low-end" or "student-model" pieces. Especially when considering the current standards of industry pricing. There are literally probably 100's of models from other makers one can get for 1/2 of even the Melody Maker price with equal build quality and far more features. And then tacking on a nearly 100% price increase for one additional pickup? Really?

I mean we are *almost* into Fender American territory on the Jr. there. For what used to be a student model.

I don't care one way or another personally; everybody is free to buy what they like and i don't begrudge them. But I can certainly see the point about the pricing scheme being more than a bit out of touch with what more other manufacturers are doing.

I agree that the Melody Maker is way overpriced for what it is. I have no real opinion on the Jr. I like it, and if I found a deal on one and had the cash, I'd consider it, but I doubt I'd drop $900 on one.

As for Gibson being out of touch with their pricing...

The other manufacturers are using foreign labor to get their prices down. Those Gibsons are all made in the USA. Now, that may not translate into a better guitar, but it does translate into a higher price tag.

You want a cheap Gibson? Buy an Epiphone.

• Members

its like with clothes.... designer clothes can cost ridiculous amounts that dont reflect their quality or production cost..... but you can buy clothes in all sorts of price ranges, so you can dress yourself within whatever your budget may be....

dont want to pay Gibson CS prices..... dont buy a custom shop gibson, there are so many options out there in all price ranges, that there really should not be any reason to be upset, just move on to an item more in your price range :idk:

• Members

OUCH!! That's insane! Gibsons 'budget/student' model for that much? What are the folks at Gibson thinking? Are they Hell-bent on alienating every possible customer, or just desperate for cash?

Gibson doesn't really do budget/student models anymore, except maybe the Melody Maker. There are the Gibson Baldwins and Epiphones, but the USA Gibson stuff is their higher-end line now. Also, it's been mentioned, but that LP Special in the OP is a freakin' Custom Shop Historic Reissue.

• Members
Calculating for inflation, what cost $400 in 1957 would cost $3,129.70 in 2010.

Yeah, but in '57 they cost $49.50.

Also, just so people are clear as to why I thought Gibson was on crack, it doesn't have to do with just the cost of guitar from their custom shop. It's the fact that they include this statement in their description of the guitar that they are charging $2,499.97 for:

It doesn't carry the kind of price tag we generally associate with the upper-end models.

Really? :confused: I can get an upper-end model from just about any company or a boutique guitar for that.

• Members

It's a kickass guitar. Now I want one.

But I only paid $2000 for the 335 and $1200 for the 339, so $2500 for a stripped down budget axe seems steep.

No worries, they come and go for $1500-2000 used all the time. $1700ish seems norm. It's a Custom Shop guitar like both of those, so it'd fit right in!

• Members
No worries, they come and go for $1500-2000 used all the time. $1700ish seems norm. It's a Custom Shop guitar like both of those, so it'd fit right in!

Now I really want one.

But how much better could it be than this for $839:

579948.jpg

For that price, you could have Jason Lollar hand-wind a special pickup to enhance its natural tonality. And, you could have someone dress the frets (all Gibsons need it) or buy some tools and do it yourself. You could add a lightweight wrapover tailpiece ($80) and change pots/cap for $25. I'll bet nobody would be able to tell you that the CS sounds better.

• Members
Now I really want one.

579948.jpg

For that price, you could have Jason Lollar hand-wind a special pickup to enhance its natural tonality. And, you could have someone dress the frets (all Gibsons need it) or buy some tools and do it yourself. You could add a lightweight wrapover tailpiece ($80) and change pots/cap for $25. I'll bet nobody would be able to tell you that the CS sounds better.

Sure, go for it! That actually sounds like it would come out great!

Say, why didn't you buy an Epi 335 and replace the guts?

• Members
Sure, go for it! That actually sounds like it would come out great!

Say, why didn't you buy an Epi 335 and replace the guts?

Yeah, I see where this is headed. But technically, the lumber for both the Custom Shop and the regular production line come from the same suppliers--the CS just gets first pick.

I do have an Epi semi and I love it. MF blew them out a few years back for $899. It has Gibson pickups, pots, and Grover tuners.

riviera1.jpg

• Members
Now I really want one.

579948.jpg
You could add a lightweight wrapover tailpiece ($80) and change pots/cap for $25. I'll bet nobody would be able to tell you that the CS sounds better.

I'm afraid that a lightweight wrapover tailpiece will not be quite a direct replacement. The tailpiece on the new $839 "standard production" Jr is a compensated bridge with raised ridges to give theoretically better ballpark intonation.
TP-0401-001-2T.jpg

The compensated tailpiece sits more straight on the face of the guitar.

The original uncompensated wraptails, the bridge was mounted with the treble strings slightly forward for closer intonation. Hence the nickname "slant tails".

78527-body-l.jpg

It is my personal preference, but I have never cared for compensated stop bar tailpieces, but that's just me. Compensated stop bar tailpieces might work fine for others. I just like the feel of that smooth face of the tailpiece under my picking hand, and I'll wager that there is less string breakage with the smooth top slant tail.

• Members

You are correct!:thu:
These guitars used tocost under $100!
Gibson isn't using the quality mahogany, or brazillian boards on the new ones, just charging like they were.

I'd buy a Tokai, Edwards, or some other Japanese version before I gave Gibson that kind of money for a student guitar!

The talk is all hype and bull{censored} by Gibson. Don't believe any of it. :facepalm:

Archived