BILL LAWRENCE USA L500XL

KevinTJH

• Members

I have a really tight budget here, and I'm looking for a passive bridge pickup to play hardrock, and some really heavy metal in drop B. I found this pickup on a forum, any thoughts about it? The price fits my budget just right though.

Another option would be the Gibson Dirty Fingers and Dimarzio Tone Zone since someone's selling it second hand on ebay.

Please help me out here!

• Members

Grab one. But make sure you get the one actually made by Bill, not one of the rip-offs on ebay. I have one in my Soloist and it SCREAMS. But it's also crystal clear. For $50, you cannot beat it.

How do I know if it's made by Bill? I was actually thinking of getting it from ebay, there's one in zebra as well. Looks pretty good http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360205111804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But I'm not sure if it's made by Bill or not though. This pickup seems to be the best selling pickup in ebay Australia.

Should I get that one?

Thanks guys

• Members

How do I know if it's made by Bill? I was actually thinking of getting it from ebay, there's one in zebra as well. Looks pretty good

But I'm not sure if it's made by Bill or not though. This pickup seems to be the best selling pickup in ebay Australia.

Should I get that one?

Thanks guys

if it says bill lawrence USA - it's not bill lawrence.

• Members
Exactly. The real ones DO NOT have any writing on them. 99% of the ones on ebay are the bogus ones. You buy the real ones are available DIRECTLY from Bill & Becky.

Yup. They also take about 8 weeks to get and are often wrapped in newspaper or paper towels inside of a plastic bag that is then stuck into a box. There is usually a 'Made in USA' sticker with an American flag and some sort of abbreviated hand written description on a little sticker. I have a set of Keystones in my Strat. They sound fantastic. But you gotta buy directly from Bill & Becky to get the real deal. Avoid the stuff from the name thief.

• Members

What the hell is going on here?! I sent a message to that ebay seller regarding fake Bil Lawrence pickups, and this was his reply:

Dear kevintjh,

there is NO SUCH person as Bill lawrence..he a is a ficticious name created by the company owners back in the 60's...willie stitch goes by the name but is not associated with bill lawrence usa..these are made in california USA about an hour from my location..hope that clears up your concerns..

Best Regards,

Gene Koebler

TrickedOutGuitar.com

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Tricked-Out-Guitar

Okay just to clear things up, Bill Lawrence is a real person and he is still alive, right?

And this is the real Bill Lawrence's site..

so that is the ORIGINAL Bill Lawrence site where I can even order a cream, maroon housing(stated on the site) L-500XL?

It's so confusing, you google Bill Lawrence pickups and you get 5 websites with his name on it, selling the same products.

• Members

Here's the Wikipedia entry on Bill Lawrence.

If you want REAL Bill Lawrence pickups, buy them from http://www.wildepickups.com.

If you want Bill Lawrence USA pickups (the company owned by the name thief), you can buy them just about anywhere.

IMHO, real Bill Lawrence (Wilde and Keystone) are very special pickups. The others are imposters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm getting a pretty good exchange rate for Aussie to US dollar right now so I'm wondering whether I should get one now while the Aussie dollar is high against the US.

For that chunky metal sound I would definitely go for an active EMG 81, or SD Blackout. There's only a slim chance I would use the L500XL for that purpose so I was wondering if I would be able to sell it off for a decent price in case I decide not to put it in my guitar.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth the investment keeping an L500XL in my drawer? (I'm talking about this one :http://www.wildepickups.com)

• Members

Oh dear, not again...

Very short version: If you want a hand made, boutique pickup, get the Bill and Becky pickup. If you want the Bill Lawrence pickups that were made famous back in the 70s, get the Bill Lawrence USA pickups.

Short history: Willi Stich (who used the name "Bill Lawrence" when performing) started a company called "Bill Lawrence" to build pickups. He took on a partner: Jzchak Wajcman. At some point Stich went bankrupt and Wajcman bought all of the assets, including the name "Bill Lawrence".

Stich continued (until recently) to make pickups under the name "Bill Lawrence" causing massive amounts of confusion. Wajcman, in an attempt at reducing the confusion, called his pickups "Bill Lawrence USA". Eventually, Wajcman sued Stich, who promptly quit selling pickups under the name "Bill Lawrence" and started using the names "Keystone" and "Wilde".

To call the Wajcman pickups "fakes" is very unfair. Are Gibson and Fender guitars now "fake" since the namesakes have sold the companies?

• Members

if it says bill lawrence USA - it's
not
bill lawrence.

Not exactly.

Mine says Bill Lawrence USA on the bottom but the pup was made in the late 70's or very early 80's. I've had it since 1981 and it was used when I got it. There was only the one Bill Lawrence pup company at that time.

• Members

Oh dear, not again...

Very short version: If you want a hand made, boutique pickup, get the Bill and Becky pickup. If you want the Bill Lawrence pickups that were made famous back in the 70s, get the Bill Lawrence USA pickups.

Short history: Willi Stich (who used the name "Bill Lawrence" when performing) started a company called "Bill Lawrence" to build pickups. He took on a partner: Jzchak Wajcman. At some point Stich went bankrupt and Wajcman bought all of the assets, including the name "Bill Lawrence".

Stich continued (until recently) to make pickups under the name "Bill Lawrence" causing massive amounts of confusion. Wajcman, in an attempt at reducing the confusion, called his pickups "Bill Lawrence USA". Eventually, Wajcman sued Stich, who promptly quit selling pickups under the name "Bill Lawrence" and started using the names "Keystone" and "Wilde".

To call the Wajcman pickups "fakes" is very unfair. Are Gibson and Fender guitars now "fake" since the namesakes have sold the companies?

This is accurate.

There is question as to whether the BL USA pups are as good as the Bill & Becky pups but the BL USA pups are the ones that can legally use the name Bill Lawrence.

They are not fakes, thieves, or imposters, but there is a concensus that the pups are not as good as the originals.

• Members

Get a Seymour or a DiMarzio. That way you can avoid all the controversy, name-calling, and other stuff that goes along with the BL name...

That would be great but it's off my budget. I'm looking for something a little more affordable and still good sounding.

I was actually considering a BG Hellarail but the L500XL is cheaper, and it's also available in maroon casing which is pretty cool. I'm judging on the basis of its popularity and reviews, I have never own any of them before.

Archived