Fret polishing question

kulardenu

• Members

I once had a guitar tech tell me how he uses a Dremel with a rubber head attachment to clean/polish off frets without any abrasion to the fret. He claimed it does a super job quick & easy. Has anyone else ever used this method? I do know that a pencil eraser works wonders to clean off battery contacts so this does seem plausible.

• Members

Never Dull in the silver can to clean. Very fine abrasive cloth to polish.

This is the best answer IMHO. Steel wool requires that you tape off your pickups because the shavings love to get all in there. And if you get some on your body, well enjoy the cheap relic job when cleaning up, it'll scratch the crap out of it. And even using #0000 it isn't as smooth as Never Dull.

I also did the Dremel thing for a while (used pads and compound so it is different). It made a mess everywhere which I suppose you wouldn't have.

But the thing about anything Dremel is that it wears out really fast and it is usually more expensive than its really worth. And that high speed bit has to be causing some kind of extra wear. Never Dull takes all of 5 minutes, you don't have to tape anything off to be honest and it cleans up with a paper towel. And the frets are like pure glass. A $5 can would probably cover about half of BBreaker's collection.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Archived