How do you use your tremolo?

Coralkong

• Members

Do you use your fingertips to control it, gently pushing up and down on it, or do you grab it with your whole hand and use it like you were punching the munchkin?

Is it a tool to give you subtle vibrato or a phallic symbol to be wailed on like a faux-cock to be beaten and punished so that a tight 20+ fret pinch harmonic can be pushed into the range of hearing of a bat?

Just curious.

• Members

actually depends on the song, the sound and the attack required for whatever effect I'm trying to perform.

Sometimes it's a tap, tap tap with a finger tip, a touch with a finger tip and other times its a yank or a dive bomb!!

that's why a Floyd/Kahler is needed - they're diverse and able to support them all.

Do you use your fingertips to control it, gently pushing up and down on it, or do you grab it with your whole hand and use it like you were punching the munchkin?

Is it a tool to give you subtle vibrato or a phallic symbol to be wailed on like a faux-cock to be beaten and punished so that a tight 20+ fret pinch harmonic can be pushed into the range of hearing of a bat?

Just curious.

• Members

Some people refuse to be helpered.

I guess I would be one of those. While you are technically correct, if you go to floydrose.com they refer to their "vibratos" as tremolos.

So, helper them.

Also see stewmac.com

also see guitarfetish.com

Helper out the world.

My dad told me something once, and I think it is applicable here:

"Being right can mean being very lonely."

• Members

I don't do a lot of wild stuff. Divebomb only when required by the song.

I use it mainly for shimmers, slurs, and vibrato (above & below the root note).

Being mainly a Floyd guy, I like it most because I never go out of tune.

• Members

Go get a couple of Jeff Beck vids.

Watch carefully.

You'll pretty much see what can be done with one... musically!

:wave:

FYI... I don't always play with a guitar with a "whammy bar"... but when I do... I use it BOTH gently and softly as the song and my mood suggests!

M

• Members

I mostly use the bar for a reverse like vibrato or depress the bar (a little bit) right before hitting the note so it comes up into the tone. Even with a floyd, I find myself using it to go down rather than up - my fingers to that.

There is the fine line however between cool wammy and wanker wammy.

• Members

Huh?

Tremolo:

94___schaller-floyd-rose-tremolo.jpg

Vibrato:

vibrato.jpg

Hope this helps

No, he's right, genius.

The bar thing on your guitar be it FR, Bigsby, Fender or whatever is technically a vibrato bridge/bar. It creates variations in pitch.

The use of the term tremolo for the thing is a misnomer but it's become the generally understood term for a guitar vibrato. Tremolo is a periodic variation in volume. And, yes, you also do vibrato with your fingers.

• Members

I wonder why nobody corrected Leo Fender when he made the tremolo/vibrato mistake?

Calling a vibrato bar a tremolo bar is incorrect but we're pretty much stuck with it now so there's no use in debating it.

Archived