Thoughts on Fender Tex-Mex pickups?

Hotrod Lincoln

• Members

I like the more vintage sounding sets, but I like the Tex Mex set pretty well myself. More than the Texas Specials. My Tex Mex set is H/S/S so I can't comment much on the single coil bridge tone, but other than that, I could easily live with them.

But... If I could only have one strat, I'd rather have the GFS Premium Alnico IIs or their Premium Alnico Vs than the Tex Mex set.

• Members

I had em before in a Nashville Tele. They are pretty much overwound vintage pups. Sounded good and were completly versatile. Rolling off the volume resulted in really good spanky clean tones.

I think they are great but thats just my opinion.

• Members

They are good pickups, usually bright, and not anything close to the Texas Specials. They are higher output than stock pickups. Scuzzo mentioned wiring for tone comtrol on the bridge pickup, this is an absolute must. Without it the bridge pickup can be very harsh and ice-picky.

Positions 2 and 4 sound super spanky and the neck pickup is a dream. They sound good with dirt and can even handle high gain well (60 cycle hum not withstanding).

If you want a vintage output pickup, these are not for you. They still sound like a Strat, just with a little more hair.

• Members

To me, they are the best budget strat pickups I have ever heard. Some find them a bit shrill but what's a tone control for anyway? Turn it down a bit. I would rather too bright than not bright enough.

They nail early Gilmour and Hendrix tones to a tee.

Billy

Archived