VERY interesting pickup research... noise and magnet type

t2mikeman

• Members

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67573

Read that . I have similar findings, I have been through 4 Duncan JB's and have found them all to be noisy. The most quiet pickup i have tried is my ceramic GFS crunchy rails, and a dimarzio super distortion.

Amazingly when the guy replaced the Alnico V magnet with a ceramic one, the noise went away.

~mike~

• Members

What do you like about it more? I've got a JB and am not real impressed with it so far.

Absolutely everything really. Drop it in a mahogany axe and it rips.

Tighter bass, roaring mids and nice top end harmonics without sounding thin and ball-less like the JB. Even though it's called the Distortion and sounds great for intense metal it also sounds just as good for rock tones IMO.

Also sounds like a killer hot tele pickup when split.

The JB has a slightly more usable clean tone but who uses a bridge bucker for cleans anyway?

I used to like the JB when I was younger but I've grown to hate it. :idk:

Edit: maybe hate is a little too strong.....if I had to use a guitar with a JB I could make it work but I wouldn't want another one in any of my personal guitars.

And all that said, I'm currently using the BG Hellabucker in my main axe which has all the great qualities of the Duncan Distortion but is a little smoother and warmer. LOVE it.

• Members

I think that would basically turn it into a Duncan Distortion, which blows the JB away in my opinion
:thu:

I put a JB in a strat the other day. I definitely like it, but I too have found that my SH-6 Distortion has more of the character I like.

• Members

Read that . I have similar findings, I have been through 4 Duncan JB's and have found them all to be noisy. The most quiet pickup i have tried is my ceramic GFS crunchy rails, and a dimarzio super distortion.

Amazingly when the guy replaced the Alnico V magnet with a ceramic one, the noise went away.

~mike~

Good read . . .

. . . i was never a fan of the Duncan JB. Just not for me.

• Members

this post makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

the Distortion IMHO is annoying thin,but cleaner than the JB. I am not a fan of hte distortion but love the JB but have grown tgired of its inability to be clean

Absolutely everything really. Drop it in a mahogany axe and it rips.

Tighter bass, roaring mids and nice top end harmonics without sounding thin and ball-less like the JB. Even though it's called the Distortion and sounds great for intense metal it also sounds just as good for rock tones IMO.

Also sounds like a killer hot tele pickup when split.

The JB has a slightly more usable clean tone but who uses a bridge bucker for cleans anyway?

I used to like the JB when I was younger but I've grown to hate it.
:idk:

Edit: maybe hate is a little too strong.....if I had to use a guitar with a JB I could make it work but I wouldn't want another one in any of my personal guitars.

And all that said, I'm currently using the BG Hellabucker in my main axe which has all the great qualities of the Duncan Distortion but is a little smoother and warmer. LOVE it.

• Members

wow .. its been a long time since i've been here ..a lot of interesting points about different pickups and magnets .. and while i can never prove one way or the other that the type magnet you use will change your tone i always knew it .. and sometimes the idea in a lot of guys heads as to which type magnet would be better might not always be true in reality .. and while first off i have to say that tone is very subjective i think a lot of guys like to hear that word alnico .. same for speakers .. but often times if they get to hear ceramic and alnico side by side they might pick the ceramic .. and now they have a new magnet on the horizion .. neodininium or henceforth known as neo .. they're already usin em on some speakers .. but i don't know any pickups yet except for some british chaps called entwistle .. anybody know anything about them ??

wow .. its been a long time since i've been here ..a lot of interesting points about different pickups and magnets .. and while i can never prove one way or the other that the type magnet you use will change your tone i always knew it .. and sometimes the idea in a lot of guys heads as to which type magnet would be better might not always be true in reality .. and while first off i have to say that tone is very subjective i think a lot of guys like to hear that word alnico .. same for speakers .. but often times if they get to hear ceramic and alnico side by side they might pick the ceramic .. and now they have a new magnet on the horizion .. neodininium or henceforth known as neo .. they're already usin em on some speakers .. but i don't know any pickups yet except for some british chaps called entwistle .. anybody know anything about them ??

http://store.guitarfetish.com/coju20nepino.html

• Members

wow .. its been a long time since i've been here ..a lot of interesting points about different pickups and magnets .. and while i can never prove one way or the other that the type magnet you use will change your tone i always knew it .. and sometimes the idea in a lot of guys heads as to which type magnet would be better might not always be true in reality .. and while first off i have to say that tone is very subjective i think a lot of guys like to hear that word alnico .. same for speakers .. but often times if they get to hear ceramic and alnico side by side they might pick the ceramic .. and now they have a new magnet on the horizion .. neodininium or henceforth known as neo .. they're already usin em on some speakers ... anybody know anything about them ??

Jensen is using them afaik :

http://www.jensentone.com/neo_index.php

" The Neo is a glimpse into the future of musical instrument speakers. Just as Peter L. Jensen's first musical instrument speaker was groundbreaking, the Jensen

• Members

It might have an effect on the signal to noise ratio, if it increases the signal from the strings.

That's certainly true... but it would be exactly the opposite of what those guys are claiming. And that's still not "more or less" noise.

• Members

it does in my experience. the type, size and strength of the magnet noticeably affects the amount of hum.

The magnet has NOTHING to do with RF hum. Zip/zero/nothing. It won't get better/worse if you take the magnet away. It's the coils that pick up hum, that's why with a humbucking pickup there are two coils electrically and magnetically out of phase. They're electrically out of phase to get rid of RF noise, and magnetically out of phase to counter act being electrically out of phase for the strings.

• Members

Dudes test shows otherwise. Did you read ALL of what i posted? If not check it out. There are a few theories as to why he got the results he did, including the fact that the Alnico Magnets are metallic and may act as antennae of sorts.

One thing is for certain, the hum that i have had with every Alnico5 pickup i have used does not exist with any of my ceramic pickups.

This has been consistent over about 30 pickups.

~mike~

Archived