cheap MIC sg

ihavenofish

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

first coat of sealer on. i decided to clear the whole thing, including neck back and headstock. the neck back will have less coats and not fill all the pores and have a somewhat satin finish. headstock will also just get 1 or 2 coats just to seal it from the elements.

no burst on the body as well, it looks really nice natural.

• Members

4 coats of sealer on body. now i have a dilema. do i put 2 or 3 more and leave it unfilled - kinda looks like a gibson faded right now - or keep going and buff it to a shine. i like the "feel" of the finish the way it is now. very smooth.

i need to pull all the frets and re-radius the board. its much too flat a radius and not quite perfecly rounded. id say its a 15" radius as is now. id like it to be more like 11-12" i think.

stupid card reader broken again. pics later tonight.

• Members

so i was "mock playing" the guitar at lunch, getting a feel for the neck and such. the thing is super comfortable, neck is perfect i think. even with the tuners and pickup taped to the body for mass it way lighter than my duosonic, and that things sub 5 lbs.

best part i think is the neck joint. its like having a one inch thin body neck through.

im going to 3d laser scan the body and neck back tonight while the finish is stull dull (scans better that way). then i can tweak it and milk a few bodies exactly the same later on.

• Members

sgclearfront10.jpg

sgclearback10.jpg

sgclearneck10.jpg

these pics show how precise the neck joint is. yay for CNC. would have been a glue filled mess if i had done it by hand.

i think one more coat of finish, then let it dry overnight and sand to 2000 grit and call it done. ill drill all the remaining holes and refret the board tomorrow night.

• Members

string through holes in. generally in a straight line on both side, but the ferrules are not all even depths. they vary within half a mm below the sruface. cant really notice unless you examine closely.

tuners in as well, they are roughly in straight as well, which is not bad becase the headstock was shaped freeform and isnt 100% symetrical. i learned that the 23/64" drill recomended by grover is too large for the bushings. i had to pad them with a bit of tape to get a snug fit.

re radiused the board. its now pretty round, and about the same radius as my gibson sg which i think is 12".

will have to do fretwork tomorrow - too late to make noise. once thats done, i just need to wire the pickup and make the bridge, knobs and pickup cover along with the pick guard and control cover which are partly done.

whee :)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

its done. !!!!

for real.

no, really.

even the pickup is in.

its got strings damnit!

look, pichurs!!!

sgfb01.jpg

it plays rather nice. intonation is very good. action is good, frets level.

theres some funny business on the bridge. it was way too tall due to a very shallow neck angle and thin fretboard, so i recessed the inserts. still too tall... so i recesses the bridge posts. still too tall, so i ground down the bottom of the bridge about 1/8". the result is pretty cool actually. bridge is about .5mm above the body, and has a very clan flush look.

and yes, thats a big gouge next to the volume pot. i put a knob on it, but it was a metric knob, the pot it US. so i tried to take it off with a screw driver. i even protected the body with a thick towel.... which slipped. bah!. tis was AFTER everything else was finished too. its ok, now its a relic :)

one odd thing is the pickup. its a gibson 490t. i took it out of my sg faded, thought it was too dark. in this guitar though, its ... loud. extremely loud. very full, bordering on muddy. definitely not the 490 i remember.

wonder whats making it behave like that. no tone knob i know has a small influence, but this thing is like 2 times louder than the sg faded with its current high output alnico v's. i dont even have the pickup very close to the strings. theres also a lot of sympathetic vibration in the other strings.

other differences are: direct body mounting of the pickup, string through, 24" scale. oh, and this thing weighs like 4.5lbs :)

• Members

its done. !!!!

it plays rather nice. intonation is very good. action is good, frets level.

theres some funny business on the bridge. it was way too tall due to a very shallow neck angle and thin fretboard, so i recessed the inserts. still too tall... so i recesses the bridge posts. still too tall, so i ground down the bottom of the bridge about 1/8". the result is pretty cool actually. bridge is about .5mm above the body, and has a very clan flush look.

and yes, thats a big gouge next to the volume pot. i put a knob on it, but it was a metric knob, the pot it US. so i tried to take it off with a screw driver. i even protected the body with a thick towel.... which slipped. bah!. tis was AFTER everything else was finished too. its ok, now its a relic
:)

cool, how'd i miss this thread.... very cool looking SF, nice work :thu:

interesting info on the bridge. my first build has the same problem, even after i removed the neck and corrected the angle (went from too much to not enough). i have also recessed my bridge anchors and still too tall... i am gonna grind my the bottom of my bridge down too... thanks for the idea... :idea:

as for the screwdriver slip, it's mojo now !!! i put a small dent and little scratch in the top on my LP tonight finishing it off :cry: oh well, {censored} happens i guess...

again, nice work !!!

• Members

Very cool! I had a 490t that sounded really muddy in my Xaviere XV-700. I hated the sound and then swore off alnico 2 pickups for a bit. Then I bought a Faded SG. The 490's in my SG sound great. I learned a valuable lesson there.

What kind of wood did you use for the fingerboard?

• Members

cool, how'd i miss this thread.... very cool looking SF, nice work
:thu:

interesting info on the bridge. my first build has the same problem, even after i removed the neck and corrected the angle (went from too much to not enough). i have also recessed my bridge anchors and still too tall... i am gonna grind my the bottom of my bridge down too... thanks for the idea...
:idea:

as for the screwdriver slip, it's mojo now !!! i put a small dent and little scratch in the top on my LP tonight finishing it off
:cry:
oh well, {censored} happens i guess...

again, nice work !!!

thanks.

i should make some aluminium low profile tunomatics. ones that can fit strats or other low neck angle guitars.

• Members

Very cool! I had a 490t that sounded really muddy in my Xaviere XV-700. I hated the sound and then swore off alnico 2 pickups for a bit. Then I bought a Faded SG. The 490's in my SG sound great. I learned a valuable lesson there.

What kind of wood did you use for the fingerboard?

purpleheart

Archived