Quick Wiring Questions

OsirisProtocol

• Members

Hey HC. I've got two quick wiring questions that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

1) Is it possible to wire a push-pull pot to switch between magnetic pups only in the down position and then a Graphtech piezo only in the up position or must the two pickup types always run together in the up position? I'd essentially want this pot to be a toggle switch between the two.

2) The wiring harness I'm making requires two Push/Pull pots and a 5-way Rotary Switch. I'm concerned that a push/pull as a volume control won't be a good idea. I've always seen them used on tone controls and I figure the sweep on the volume won't be as smooth. I'm just looking for opinions on the matter. If it proves to be detrimental as a volume control I'll probably eliminate the piezo from the guitar.I'd like to find a way to make a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot work as an on/off switch for the piezo but I doubt that is doable.

• Members

1) should be possible, but I've never installed a piezo before

2) why would the sweep not be smooth? You mean the physical turning of the pot or the resulting volume sweep? If it's the latter, you can get linear or logarithmic push pull pots.

• Members

I'm concerned with the actual volume sweep. For my ears audio taper works best for volume controls but I've read that the sweep isn't as smooth on DPDT pots as they are on normal pots since they are mini switches. I was originally planning to buy an RS Guitarworks SuperPot for the volume control but shipping prices made me say no just on principle so I'm considering incorporating the piezo and push-pull.

• Members

I have push-pulls on vol, tone and a three way to replace the 5 way rotary.
No problems with inner/outer single coils and HB.

Should be possible to do what you want......you need to draw out the diagram and work it out as I don't think you will find that already drawn. Its worth finding out how to draw your own anyway as it helps to understand how things are wired.

look around you may find the diagram and also you may find DPDT with different pots - the fixing of the switch is the same for both.

Archived