How much better is a Classic Vibe over a Squier Std TELE?

_Dangerbird_

• Members

Well, this is it: there is the Classic Vibe Custom Tele, which is really really nice.

squier-classic-vibe-tele-custom-wnamm10.

Still, I would prefer a Tele in Candy Apple Red. Lets say I get a Squier Standard Tele and chuck some better pickups in, how far away is it from the Classic Vibe?

squiercandy-1.jpg

Its really difficult to decide.. I really like the CV, with its quality, the double binding, etc.. But then, its not red. ;)

• Members

Uh.. Really that much of a difference? Have you played them?

It depends what you like.

Standard:

Agathis (basswood) body

Modern 6-saddle bridge

Satin finished neck

Ceramic pickups

Modern tuners

Classic Vibe:

Pine body

Vintage 3-brass-saddle bridge

Alnico pickups (some say ToneRiders)

Gloss finished neck

Vintage tuners

Good quality nut - I'm not sure if they're bone, but they're good stuff.

I'd say the CV feels like a distinctly nicer guitar, though; easily, easily strikes deep into MIM territory. If you play the two next to each other, you'll know what the fuss is about.

• Members

It depends what you like.

Standard:

Agathis (basswood) body

Modern 6-saddle bridge

Satin finished neck

Ceramic pickups

Modern tuners

Classic Vibe:

Pine body

Vintage 3-brass-saddle bridge

Alnico pickups
(some say ToneRiders)

Gloss finished neck

Vintage tuners

Good quality nut - I'm not sure if they're bone, but they're good stuff.

I'd say the CV feels like a distinctly nicer guitar, though; easily, easily strikes deep into MIM territory. If you play the two next to each other, you'll know what the fuss is about.

I believe OP is referring to the CV Custom Tele, which sports:

Alder body

3-steel-saddle bridge

Alnico V pups (Toneriders, but not the same TRs as in the CV 50's Tele)

Rosewood board

• Members

I ABd a classic vibe and 2009 MIM tele (bought them both). classic vibe actually feels a bit twangier/more traditional (which makes sense) and the MIM, with its hotter pickups, sounds a bit more modern.

I'd say the CV is as good as the MIM, which is no small compliment since the new model MIMs are really great. both feel high quality and well made. a lower end squier by comparison might sometimes feel kind of cheap.

• Members

I ABd a classic vibe and 2009 MIM tele (bought them both). classic vibe actually feels a bit twangier/more traditional (which makes sense) and the MIM, with its hotter pickups, sounds a bit more modern.

I'd say the CV is as good as the MIM, which is no small compliment since the new model MIMs are really great. both feel high quality and well made. a lower end squier by comparison might sometimes feel kind of cheap.

IIRC you posted clips of your findings.

• Members

I think the CV is way better. I spent the last couple days playing Teles and although I was not in the market for a Squier I did play the CV along with a MIM and a modified Squier Standard. The CV was right up there with the MIM. I did not like the Standard but it was a decent guitar. I probably spent about a hour with the MIM and CV before I moved on to what I was looking for and found them both to be very playable and sounded really good.

• Members

get a xaviere and save 100 bucks.

~mike~

nooooo! the xaviere tele isn't in the same league as the CV or the MIM. if anyone tells you it is, they probably haven't tested it themselves. I've owned all three. xaviere is a functional axe but it doesn't compare.

Archived