NGD X2 It's a Fenderlicious Weekend!

Saturn

• Members

Well the tax man finally paid up and since we didn't have any real bills to pay my wife and I decided to blow our tax money on ourselves. Thursday I picked up a MIJ Strat. From the serial and comparing it to other MIJs I've had this should be a '85 or '86. Pickups have been swapped out and has a Duncan little '59 in the bridge and Alnico II Pros in the neck and middle.

This afternoon I picked up a Highway One Tele. I was goofing around at GC when I should have been at work Friday afternoon and tried out several Teles. I was looking at the American Standard, American Special and the Highway One. I went back this morning and tried all three out again. The Highway One just felt right and I really liked the way the pickups sounded over the other two.

Oh and I didn't spend all the tax money on myself. I bought my wife a diamond anniversary ring that she has been wanting for a while (cost me more than the guitars :facepalm: but she loves it).

So here are the required pics.

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

• Members

That Tele GAS is really active for me. Thanks for adding more fuel to the fire. That's a nice tele. HNGDx2.

I was thinking about getting the American Standard. Very nice guitar and looked killer but after playing both this one was just it for me. I've had 3 Teles over the years the other 3 were great but this one is like heaven. Running it through my Marshall now with some OD and it just screams.

• Members
HNGD x 2. Sorry I could not join you on the hunt today. It looks you did good. 4 paws up for the pair from Lamb Chop.

- w

Ya to bad you couldn't make it out it was a lot of fun. GC wasn't to crowded and the sales guy I have been working with sat down and played the guitars with me for a while. I was playing through a little Blues Jr. Now I have amp GAS.:facepalm:

• Members

Thanks everybody. The Japanese Strat is definitly cool as hell. The Duncan pickups are great. The guitar is in pretty good condition for being over 20 years old. It's showing it's age but was well taken care of by the past owner. I've been playing the Tele most of the night. I think I have a tie for my new #1 here.

• Members
the main playability diff between the highway one and hte others, if I'm not mistaken, is the H1 has jumbo frets. so maybe you're a jumbo frets kinda guy.

in any case they're awesome and I'm envious.
:)

I'm pretty comfortable with jumbos or vintage frets. The Strat has small vintage frets and feels just a good to me. I think the neck radius has a lot to do with it. The Tele has a modern C shaped neck. I kind of like that chunky neck. The Stat has a very similar neck radius. Another thing that really sold me on the Highway One was the over wound Alnico pickups. They sound great over driven but still have the Tele twang. I like the grease bucket tone circuit also. It can take out the high end but doesn't muffle the tone.

• Members

the american special, it seems, has the greasebucket and the jumbo frets as well. I guess the main diff is the special costs $100 more and doesn't have the sexy nitro finish.

in any case I want one!

so you can really tell the difference with the tone control compared to typical tone controls, eh?

• Members

the american special, it seems, has the greasebucket and the jumbo frets as well. I guess the main diff is the special costs $100 more and doesn't have the sexy nitro finish.

in any case I want one!

so you can really tell the difference with the tone control compared to typical tone controls, eh?

Yes the tone control is really good. When using the bridge pickup you can dial off the highs but not get boomy or muffled. The American Special has Texas Special pickup and the Highway One has Over wound Alnico. The pups are really kind of hot in the H1 but still retain the "Tele" sound.

• Members

Nice scores!! You get something, the wife gets something, win-win all around. Rock 'em good health! Put up a clip of them. I'm back in Tele la la land myself....Our other guitar player in the cover band has a Hwy 1, sounds awesome!

Archived