G&L pickup question

wok

• Members

I have got a USA G&L S-500, and i am not playing it much at the moment, as i don't like the current pickup configuration.

How easy is it to swap the bridge single coil to a humbucker?

What humbucker would you recommend?

Also, would it be worth getting a full sized humbucker and get a new pickguard to fit it, or should i just get a stacked humbucker?

• Members

Well, if it were mine, I would go with a single coil sized humbucker, just to avoid swapping the pickguard. I've been very happy with the SD JB jr I have in one of my strats. I also had a hotrails that was good, but it was more of a rock/metal kind of high output pickup. It sounded OK, but was too hot for my taste.

• Members

It's so difficult to find replacement pickguards for G&Ls, so I'd go with a single-sized HB.

I replaced the stock pickups on my S-500, and you'll need to be aware that they use 1Meg pots on this model, so you would get a very bright result with nearly any pickup you switch to unless you switch the pot also.

I love my S-500, even though she's on the trading block right now. Best Strat I've ever played! Most people don't know what they're missing.

• Members

What kind of sounds are you looking for?

A single coil sized humbucker would be easy since you wouldn't have to buy another pickguard. Pickguards for G&L are available here BTW.

The only one I have experience with is a Duncan Little '59 in the bridge of my Legacy. I really like it for rock/overdriven sounds, but it's a little loose for the heavier stuff IMHO. Since I want those heavier sounds, if I had to do it over, I'd spend the extra $40 for a new pickguard and get a full size humbucker like the JB or Tone Zone.

• Members
What kind of sounds are you looking for?

A single coil sized humbucker would be easy since you wouldn't have to buy another pickguard. Pickguards for G&L are available
here
BTW.

The only one I have experience with is a Duncan Little '59 in the bridge of my Legacy. I really like it for rock/overdriven sounds, but it's a little loose for the heavier stuff IMHO. Since I want those heavier sounds, if I had to do it over, I'd spend the extra $40 for a new pickguard and get a full size humbucker like the JB or Tone Zone.

Thanks, i was considering getting a nice tortoise shell pickguard anyway, so i may consider getting a full-sized humbucker. I bookmarked the link :thu:

Archived