Fender Strat with DG EMG's??

JoeFatFish

• Members

Ok, I may pick up some heat from some of you, but I hope not. I have been toying with the idea. I want to get a Fender American STD strat, the Sienna Burst one. The wood in that model is Ash, and I really dig the finish. Anyway, there is some bad ass playing on Dave Gilmours "All Lovers are Deranged" song and album, as well as the Floyds Momentary lapse and Division Bell albums. He used the EMG strats on both of the last floyd albums as well as on many of the songs on All Lovers are Deranged". I am NO dave Gilmour, bud I really like the tone as an added one to my Strats that I have now, plus I feel that the Ash body would make it sing! Anyway, what is the opinion here. Nay or yea' on replacing pups with EMG, Dave Gilmour pups? I currently have:

KAWAI 1984 AQUARIUS 605: Ash body with Duncan 59(neck) & Pearly Gates (Bridge), Gotoh trem bridge, & Schaller mini lock tuners. (I moded myself)

FENDER-2008 American Select Strat, mahagonay HSS in Trasparent Red Crimson

FENDER-2009 American Std SSS 3 color burst Strat.

FENDER American Special Black HSS Strat.

FENDER American Special Oly. White Telecater.

• Members

"All Lovers Are Deranged" is off About Face. Gilmour hadn't started using EMGs when that album was recorded. He toured behind that album with several stock '57 Reissue Strats and the infamous Black Strat, as can be seen in the video footage of the tour.

• Members

"All Lovers Are Deranged" is off
About Face
. Gilmour hadn't started using EMGs when that album was recorded. He toured behind that album with several stock '57 Reissue Strats and the infamous Black Strat, as can be seen in the video footage of the tour.

Sorry, your correct...About Face. I have the CD..duh, I'm a dork. I thought I read he had used the Red Strat for that song. Oh well. It has some great tone and awesome tremolo bar on it. But do you have any opinion on the EMG's on the ash strat as I am asking on the thread? Thanks.

• Members

DG20 set here I needed something I could put on a ton of effects and cut down on the noise. The mid boost is nice for leads and the treble/bass boost is nice for cleans. Have considered the 18v mod also. Only thing was a very tight fit on installation. Have a Gilmour preset in the G2 and it is still a bit noisy with all the effects on at once (thick though).

• Members

i used to have the DG20 in one of my strats and it sounded fantastic.. its currently waiting to be installed in another body which i have yet to purchase and the guitar it was initar has Dimarzio Area58/58/61 pickups in it which i prefer.

the emgs do sound really nice though very smooth and responsive.

• Members

GC sells a package with all 3pups wired and on a pick gaurd. I was wanting that, so instalation would be easy and fast. Is it worth it? I think they sound cool, and I know some will say, it is worth it if I like it, or think its worth it. What I want to know, as some have already expressed...are they so cool, I should do it?

• Members

They are very cool... they sound very good... they don't sound much like a strat though IMHO ... at least not a vintage strat like most poeple are after.

I like them quite alot and want to build another guitar around them but something more "modern inspired" than what i had them in.

• Members

They are very cool... they sound very good... they don't sound much like a strat though IMHO ... at least not a vintage strat like most poeple are after.

I like them quite alot and want to build another guitar around them but something more "modern inspired" than what i had them in.

Thank you man, thats what I wanted to hear! I already have other strats for that vintage sound. I love the guitar Dave Gilmour has on A Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, so freakin awesome. I want to add to my tones/sounds. I think I just may do it, after I buy the next Strat.

Archived