NGD - classic player baja tele

victorcrane

• Members

Good choice!!

I have a Baja, and I absolutely love it. I spent a long time trying lots of teles, comparing all the different options from high to low price and came to the conclusion that this was the best... even without the extra switching it is superb - a neck pickup to die for and a good solid bridge pickup sound. I went through a phase of thinking I could improve on mine by modifying it with different pickups. I even put in a CS Nocaster set, but guess what? The originals are back in there, as they just sounded better.

The only downside to mine is that it is a little heavy, but it resonates really well and feels so SOLID.

I love the fourth position too for particular kinds of solos.

• Members

Very nice, Hngd, what pickups come in that?

They call it a 'Broadcaster' in the bridge, which has alnico V magnets, and has a relatively 'modern' voicing to it.

In the neck, it's the wonderful 'twisted tele neck' pickup... which uses longer magnets apparently, and is brighter/punchier than most tele neck pickups. It can get almost strat like, and it balances well with the bridge I find.

I think they took quite a bit of care in balancing these two pickups so that all of the six positions sound good (you can put positions 2 and 4 out of phase)... although to be honest, the 'in series' out of phase position is really a bit TOO honky!

• Members

sorry about the double reply, but I like this tele. I don't know how much you paid in US dollars, but for the usual price of US $800 (or 10 - 15% under if you get a deal, which I would), would you guys say it's enough guitar for the money? how does it compare to an ammy standy tele?

• Members

sorry about the double reply, but I like this tele. I don't know how much you paid in US dollars, but for the usual price of US $800 (or 10 - 15% under if you get a deal, which I would), would you guys say it's enough guitar for the money? how does it compare to an ammy standy tele?

As you can tell, I am enthusiastic about the Baja! When I tested it against Am Standards (this was pre 2008 mind you), I preferred the Baja for a few reasons: the neck is thicker, the neck pickup sounded better to me, and overall it seemed to have a beefier tonality. I also compared it to the Hot rod 52 reissue (which is something like 3 times more expensive). Now, it was quite a bit brighter than that, because the latter has alinco IVs which are differently voiced. The Baja obviously wasn't quite as good as the reissue, but it definitely punches well above its weight. I also liked having the 4th position, without having to mod it myself and the first out of phase position (in parrallel) is quite usable, especially through a good fender amp.

On a side note, An AC30 recently fell on my Baja in the back of the car, but it emerged unscathed, seemingly sounding even better.

• Members

Congratulations on the delicious Tele!!!

I went on a Tele safari for almost a year to find the "perfect" Tele. In the end, it came down to a 52 RI Hotrod and the Baja. I think those Bajas are terrific. The neck especially is incredible. Congratulations man!

(oYo)

• Members

I did see a placid blue one at the shop, it was very very nice but the blonde just does it for me. Glad you all approve, I've played it to death over the last 24 hours and it just gets better. I've spent much more money on lesser guitars and fender in particular seem to be a gamble at times, this one is a real corker. :)

Archived