Randy Rhoads Movie Trailer

Jeffmo

• Members

This movie seems timed too go with the push too give Randy a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame also. Long over due IMO.

The guy was a proven Virtuoso no matter how much you like him or not.

Remember he had only 2-3 years in the World eye and we are Still talking about him and his Ozzy works in high regard 25 + years later

Back in the 70's and 80's the guy was an Iconic local music instructor(as well as his family) and Rock guitar player in the Greater LA/Burbank area.

And If you know Anything of music theory then you Easily realize that what Rhoads wrote and played late in his short carreer were Quite Very advanced musical arrangements.

randy_rhoads_sp_thumb.jpg

• Members

In the early 80s, in the hard rock genre, Rhoads was the only guy in the same room as EVH, in terms of style and technique. Nobody else really came close until Malmsteen and Gilbert came on the scene. By the mid 80s, we started to see a number of guys who were directly influenced by Ed. But between 1980 and 1982, EVH was the man, and Rhoads wasn't far behind. No one else could touch them. Rhoads had so much potential to carry what he was doing even further, which makes his death still sad.

• Members

I do wonder what would have happened if he had stayed with Ozzy for another few albums.

According to Ozzy, from a 2002 interview, the day before Randy's death he told Ozzy that he wanted out. His words:

"I want to go to UCLA and get a degree in classical music."

But who knows...

• Members

We'll have to agree to disagree in that regard...

I'm not sure RR was better than Ed but they approached composition differently to the best of my knowledge...and while they're quite similar in style...feel was completely different IMHO

Given RR's scholarly aims...I'm sure he would be creating groundbreaking music with the instrument...

Which I guess would make you correct b/c in this day and age...things like that are swept under the rug...only appreciated by the likes of people that frequent guitar forums...

I don't see how you can compare these guys either, I'm probably a little bit more of an Eddie fan just because he has such a much larger body of work but let's give Randy his due here. First they were completely different stylistically. He may have done it but I don't remember ever seeing Randy tap much if at all just as I don't recall Ed having as much classical influence in his playing or being as adept at some of the intense picking techniques as Randy..;)

• Members

I don't recall Ed having as much classical influence in his playing or being as adept at some of the intense picking techniques as Randy.

Actually, Edward was a classically trained pianist in his early years. But, you are correct, except for a few songs here and there, you don't hear the classical technique as much as was heard in Rhoad's playing.

EVH was blues influenced, but in reality he was more of a "freestyle" player than anything.

• Members

It's Interesting and probably better for the movie that Ozzy and Sharon don't seem to be in it. I did not see Zakk either. I wonder if they wanted money or control to participate.

Perhaps, but its a pretty big chunk to leave out if your telling his story dont ya think?

• Members

i'd watch it, as i love historical stuff and even moreso when it's about rock n roll.

i honestly couldn't care less about his music, but i have an immeasurable amount of respect for randy. he was a musician in the truest sense. and that - i love.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How can anyone diss Randy Rhoads or say they don't like his music? I don't get that. He was all over the place and like EVH took a broad range of influences and combined them in such a way as to produce his own particular style. He actually was capable of riffing in a broader range of modalities and styles than EVH. He could do simple Pentatonic shredding and then kick out some Aeolian based wailing or some Phrygian-dominant lead-work. No one did as broad a range of work as he did in his day, and did it so well and so hooky. He was not a wanker like Malmsteen or Gilbert... he actually wrote riffs and hooks people can remember and hum too. He had it ALL. He even did harmony work on Mr. Crowley, played unison lines with organ and keys. As a musician he was head and shoulders above any of his peers. Some had one or two of his skills or tricks.... but he had access to ALL of them!

• 6 months later...
  • Members

was better then EVH back then. If RR had lived he would be in "where are they now" land.

Who's that now?

Why can't people learn to spell his name correctly? He wasn't a piano...

I'd like to throw in also that Randy could play circles around Eddie Van Endorsmentcheck.

• Members

Link to working video:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/gear-street/56936-trailer-randy-rhoads-movie.html

...but a documentary about RR without Ozzy and/or Sharon is almost pointless.

Thank you for the link!

I have to disagree though. I think it gives everyone a different perspective into Randy's life with Ozzy with "other" people telling the story. Im a huge Ozzy/Randy fan - always have been! But you know Ozzy and/or Sharon would never say anything about him being unhappy with being in Ozzy's band. Or that EVH "may" be better. You get to see, and hear, what other musicians thought of Rhoads. I think they all have the same opinion everyone "should" have. He was an amazing musician that left us too soon. :cry:

RIP Randy - Gone but never forgotten!

• Members

I'll never forget that day, hearing on the radio that he was killed. We were all so shocked. Talk about bandmate freakout! On comparing EVH to RR. Really, apples to oranges. Two totally different styles. I watched them both live, great guitarists, but really, very different players.

• Members

With a stronger background in classical than rock/pop/metal until I was about 12, I grew up thinking Randy was absolutely IT. Playing was great on both Ozzy studio albums, but you can hear a lot of more maturity in the second although Blizzard is my favorite. But I absolutely feel that he wouldn't have stayed with Ozzy for another studio album... or maybe one more max. Basically his entire life outside of being on stage was learning all he could about classical.

I've NEVER understood the Rhoads vs EVH debate. It isn't even a debate. Which is better, Chopin or Mozart? They are too different to compare... it's just a preference. Neither could 'blow the other away' but both were extremely impressive and innovative within what the did for their first several years.

:idk:

I know EVH is beyond a legend and most folks overly revere dead folks they knew, but in terms of completely impressing people the first time they heard them live, they were probably the top two guys in California from 78-80.

• Members

With a stronger background in classical than rock/pop/metal until I was about 12, I grew up thinking Randy was absolutely IT. Playing was great on both Ozzy studio albums, but you can hear a lot of more maturity in the second although Blizzard is my favorite. But I absolutely feel that he wouldn't have stayed with Ozzy for another studio album... or maybe one more max. Basically his entire life outside of being on stage was learning all he could about classical.

I've NEVER understood the Rhoads vs EVH debate. It isn't even a debate. Which is better, Chopin or Mozart? They are too different to compare... it's just a preference. Neither could 'blow the other away' but both were extremely impressive and innovative within what the did for their first several years.

:idk:

I know EVH is beyond a legend and most folks overly revere dead folks they knew, but in terms of completely impressing people the first time they heard them live, they were probably the top two guys in California from 78-80.

I agree 100%. :thu:

• Members

I sometimes wonder if the comparison is made just to stir debate. Especially here on these forums. There are several folks on here that make comments that they know will just stir a "{censored} storm" of comments from belief, to disbelief. :facepalm:

People that want to say Randy wasnt great, or relevant, are sadly mistaken.

If he wasnt relevant, and GREAT, we wouldnt still be talking about him today. There have been hundreds of "good" guitarists pass over the years, but only a short list of "greats" live on. :thu:

Archived