OT: massive earth quack in cali

Edge11

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once you experience an 8.1 everything after that seems trivial.

Not sure about that. My wife was thrown about pretty badly in the Chengdu earthquake in 2008 and I was there for the aftershocks. To this day, any unusual vibration brings back the fear for her so no earthquake is really trivial any more.

• Members

the sound of {censored} shaking around you is the most frightening part about it. usually the first couple seconds i think its my imagination, till it gets more intense and i see my cat run into my bathroom.

my best friends family is right near the epicenter of the earthquake. all the mexicans slept outside last night, because their buildings are so crappy, they dont trust em enough.

• Members

according to geophysicists they are all "unrelated" although how they work that out I don't know. I also don't believe them .

Well, considering how the plates are made up, I can see how they can claim that. I mean, if you have a big pile of dirt and you push on one side, it goes up and makes a hill. It doesn't move the other side. And considering that the bottom-most layer of the plates is molten, that just makes it easier to believe. However, one must also remember that for every action there is an equal and opposite reacation. So when a plate pops on one side, it seems to pop on the other side a short time later. Long story short, when the people across the ocean from you start getting quakes, watch out!

Yes, plate tectonics is something I like reading about.

• Members

the sound of {censored} shaking around you is the most frightening part about it. usually the first couple seconds i think its my imagination, till it gets more intense and i see my cat run into my bathroom.

my best friends family is right near the epicenter of the earthquake. all the mexicans slept outside last night, because their buildings are so crappy, they dont trust em enough.

Actually, thanks to construction regulations and improved quality, material damage was not that considerable.

There have been comparisons with Haiti's earthquake since both were of the same type, although Mexico's was a bit stronger. Thousands died in Haiti's earthquake, while only 2 people died in Mexico's earthquake.

The one in Chile and in Mexico in 1985 were of a different kind (subduction).

Archived