So my friend is giving me a guitar body...

Dead Star

• Members

It's a gray Superstrat with one (bridge) pickup that's at an angle (???). The output is also strange for a strat (it's like an SG, right on the front)(what brand ever did this?). Only has a volume knob. Looks like it's a Kay KE-17.

So what's the consensus, worth turning into a cheap shredder?

• Members

So? That doesn't mean it will sound bad.

Throw a cheap set of actives in it and let her rip. I just wouldnt throw a lot of money into it if you are set on building something out of it.

• Members

ugghh... it's plywood...

DUDE. Plywood bodies can be {censored}in' A.

I got one once. My first electric, a Strat style, didn't really look a lot like a Strat at all... oddly shaped body and pickguard, at least compared to a real Strat. I was on UG at the time, and I put up an ad looking for a Strat body.

Dude came along with one, and I traded this old ukulele I had for it. The body got here, naked, and I set about painting it. I didn't know {censored} about painting at the time, so I just slapped some Surf Green paint and clear lacquer on. No sealer, wet-sanding, nothing, thinking I'd get a lovely factory finish :lol:

So it was awfully finished... it felt like painted wood. Nevertheless, I transferred all the Chinese cheapie hardware into it, and the neck, all from the last guitar, along with a new pickguard. The "finish" wore around the edges, and eventually it got scribbled all over with marker pen, with all sorts of Muse-related doodles :D

So you had a piece of {censored}, craply finished, plywood body, scribbled all over with Musey doodles. And you know what? It was the best guitar I EVER owned.

Seriously, it all went balls up when I tried to fit a new neck, and just scrapped it... but god, I wish I didn't. That thing was beast. I still have these great memories of jamming to Knights of Cydonia in my room... that guitar was *the best* for Knights.

Sorry for the story, but plywood bodies can be great if you get the right one :thu:

Archived