Would you do this to a perfectly fine guitar?

SPONGEBOB

• Members

I have a very sweet Hamer USA Special FM [Flame Maple top].. It has a Duncan 59 neck and Duncan JB in the bridge.

They are decent, but I prefer a more "classic" sound like a 60's Gibson bucker, or even the PRS Dragon buckers ar similar. Nickle covered buckers have a less harsh sound to me... These Duncans are decent I supposse, but I want a covered bucker set in there, with coil splitting.

Not sure what to get as yet, but I have always used PRS Dragons in past guitars and always love the sound. This guitar is very similar to a PRS, and should be close in tone IMHO.

. Now, when I get the covered, coil splitting, vintage tone, buckers are in there, I want a trem.

I miss having it, and not one of my bucker or P 90 guitars has it[just my strats].

Should I go with a B5 Bigsby, Les Trem[expensive!], or what?. Open to suggestions...

I would was looking to buys a PRS CE, or decent Custom 22 but they seem real expensive all of a sudden.. Guys are wanting $1,800 for CE's that were $900 not long ago.

My USA Special FM is not worth much even though its in really beautiful

condition.

I am not going to sell it for $400, and then have to add over a thousand more to get a low end PRS.

You think adding a cool trem and some sweeter pickups is the right way to go, or should I keep looking for a PRS with trem, and sell the Hamer?

I don't need the guitar, don't play it much as is but really do like the body, and neck.

The Duncan Pickups? meh...

Never saw a solid body Hamer with Bigsby, but the thought intrigues me

. I doubt it would devalue it much, as Hamers are a tough sell anyway , and you have to just about give them away .. Any thoughts would be appreciated... bob

• Members

"Grass is always greener" counseling might be helpful.

I don't get where you're coming from, but thats nothing new with your replies...

Just wanted honest and constructive thoughts/opinions on either selling, or making the mods, so I will enjoy the axe more, or getting the PRS I like, but really don't need...

Don't need the snotty bull{censored}. Looking for insight is all.

• Members

My thoughts:

- Swapping out the pickups is fairly easy. If you like the PRS Dragons, then go for it.

- A Bigsby would be a hassle on a Hamer mainly because of the position of the selector switch.

- Trying really hard not to make you an offer. :facepalm:

• Members

Swap the pickups. Easy, reversible, shouldn't cost you too much.

Learn to live without the trem IMHO. You have other guitars that have trems, and this one is different. Bigsby, Les Trem etc. are going to be difficult (due to pickup switch as mentioned), expensive and may well involve irreversible mods.

My first electric had a Floyd Rose (Ibanez Edge actually) and the second having a fixed bridge took a lot of getting used to. But variety is the spice of life.

Steve

• Members

I would NOT consider Hamer guitars a low cost PRS. They are great guitars. There are alternatives to a Bigsby. Check out some of the tremolo systems that fit directly onto a Tune-omatic styled bridge. No holes, routing or mods. More moderate trem action like a Bigsby than divebombs. If you really don't want the Hamer, I will be happy to buy it.

• Members

It would be a pity to rout that for a trem - I'd honestly like to take that off your hands so you can by something with a trem instead. Besides I'm sure a trem would change tone, and willl you then like it as much?

I've changed pickups in my own FM (quilted top) - I keep coming back to the JB but for the last year or two I've had a Phat Cat in the neck position. lovely fat singlecoil sound.

• Members

Nah, I wouldn't route it.. Its even hard to think about drilling holes in the flame maple cap for a Bigsby B5...

I will probably just try to sell at a monstrous loss, just like every other USA Hamer I have sold... This is my 4th.

I can try and list it here on HC but the replies usually read something like this.

"Hey man, I'll give you $150 shipped"

"Would you consider trading for my PC?"

" whazzup??! I'll give you my Agile 2000 and $50".

• Members

Nah, I wouldn't route it.. Its even hard to think about drilling holes in the flame maple cap for a Bigsby B5...

I will probably just try to sell at a monstrous loss, just like every other USA Hamer I have sold... This is my 4th.

I can try and list it here on HC but the replies usually read something like this.

Why do you keep buying Hamers? :poke: Seriously, USA Hamers are great guitars and pretty damn well thought of. They've been keeping more of their resale value recently. Maybe try selling it over on the Gear Page? How much did you pay for your Special?

• Members

Why do you keep buying Hamers? :poke: Seriously, USA Hamers are great guitars and pretty damn well thought of. They've been keeping more of their resale value recently. Maybe try selling it over on the Gear Page? How much did you pay for your Special?

I gave a dead mint Highway One strat and $300 at a local music store.

I really like Hamers, but I always seem to sell them off.. Thats just what I do.

I sold all my USA PRS guitars as well over the years.

As I get older however, [soon to be 56!]I am getting more inclined to find one good double cut solidbody with the pickups I like and a very good trem.

PRS most likely, if I can find one at the right price. I will most likely sell the Hamer instead of spending $350+ on a trem and pickups.

What I REALLY need to do is stop all the impulse buying, slow down and get what I really want, instead of something I see hanging on a wall and jump at because it looks good at the time!:)

• Members

I don't get where you're coming from, but thats nothing new with your replies...

Just wanted honest and constructive thoughts/opinions on either selling, or making the mods, so I will enjoy the axe more, or getting the PRS I like, but really don't need...

Don't need the snotty bull{censored}. Looking for insight is all.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were so thin skinned. One man's "snotty bull{censored}" is another man's "truth of the matter".

"Just wanted honest and constructive thoughts/opinions on either selling, or making the mods, so I will enjoy the axe more, or getting the PRS I like, but really don't need..."

Yep, grass is greener. :poke:

• Members

It's your guitar, so do what you want with it, but I wouldn't be doing any routing if it were mine. I changed the '59/JB in mine (normal all-mahogany HB model) to Bareknuckle Mules. The '59 was and is a fine pickup, I just didn't like the JB much. The Mules are a great improvement, and, being covered, look a lot cooler.

Hamers are great guitars BTW, I don't understand why they appear to be worthless. Mine's a proper US made no-frills rock 'n roll workhorse, worth the same or less as the usual Korean and Chinese copy suspects. Strange that.

• Members

It sounds like you want a PRS, so just save up and buy a PRS. Or, if you really like the Hamer neck and body, save up some more and see if Hamer will do a custom job with different pickups and a Wilkinson or something. I've seen some Floyded Specials, but they tend to be older 80's models with the slim necks.

• Members

I'm considering the gold top p-90 model Hamer and doing these mods:

Vibramate/Bigsby conversion (fully reversable with no damage to the body)

move the toggle to where the tone pot is and wiring for master volume and master tone.

For your pickups, I would highly recommend a set of BG Lizards...:o

• Members

Hamers are great guitars BTW, I don't understand why they appear to be worthless. Mine's a proper US made no-frills rock 'n roll workhorse, worth the same or less as the usual Korean and Chinese copy suspects. Strange that.

It's a strange thing, a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing to me because I buy almost all of my musical gear used and am a big Hamer fan, and can buy them relatively cheap. It's a curse to those who paid full price and decide they want to sell. Unless it's a rare or early piece, they're taking a big hit.

I think it's a mix of things that keep their value down in the market. Name recognition is not high, with a lot of those who do know the name remembering their 80's superstrat and pointy offerings. Their endorsement deals are mainly with some pretty non-mainstream guitarists. And they're kind of an odd-sized shop. They're not quite a full production shop, not quite a boutique builder, but somewhere in between.

• Members

It's a strange thing, a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing to me because I buy almost all of my musical gear used and am a big Hamer fan, and can buy them relatively cheap. It's a curse to those who paid full price and decide they want to sell. Unless it's a rare or early piece, they're taking a big hit.

I think it's a mix of things that keep their value down in the market. Name recognition is not high, with a lot of those who do know the name remembering their 80's superstrat and pointy offerings. Their endorsement deals are mainly with some pretty non-mainstream guitarists. And they're kind of an odd-sized shop. They're not quite a full production shop, not quite a boutique builder, but somewhere in between.

Yes... I'll buy that.

The build quality is close to PRS IMHO.. Makes stock Gibson look stupid.

I dunno, I keep going back and forth.. A Les Trem would seem to be the least invasive trem mod... I might order one from someplace with an aces return policy in case it can't be fitted properly.. Once I have the trem I like, pickups are a minor consideration.. I REALLY do like this guitar.. Just not the pickups so much, and I want a trem... We'll see... bob

• Members

I dunno, I keep going back and forth.. A Les Trem would seem to be the least invasive trem mod... I might order one from someplace with an aces return policy in case it can't be fitted properly.. Once I have the trem I like, pickups are a minor consideration.. I REALLY do like this guitar.. Just not the pickups so much, and I want a trem... We'll see... bob

I use having multiple features as an excuse to buy multiple guitars. :facepalm:

Though I always thought the SH-1/'59 combo to be more classic than PRS dragons. Hell. If you can tell me what's in my 25th CU22 I might trade/sell, I'm not a fan of those pickups.

• Members

What would you be wanting for it?

I can't believe I just said that. :facepalm:

Archived