Danelectro 59' vs. Squier Tele

Rubriks

• Members

Hello there,

Has anyone out there played a 59' Dano...

I'm searching for a new guitar and I wanted some advise. Just so you know, I am into Indie music like Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, and also Japanese bands like Asian Kung Fu Generation, Radwimps, and Snowkel. (My current guitar is a crappy Strat-copy Behringer that I bought when I had no idea about guitars...)

I'm on a budget and I want a guitar that fits that inde sound and I have played a Tele before so I know that would be fine for me. Yet I have a passion for most things retro and the Dano 59' really caught my eye. I love how it looks but none of my local guitar shops have it so I have not had the chance to play it. At most I have heard badly recorded demos in Youtube.

So I just wanted advise on what would be good for me.

Would a Dano 59' be the right guitar for me or should I just get a Tele?

-Thanks in advance

• Members

Before you buy one, know that they all feel cheap. It's supposed to be part of their charm, as they were cheap guitars back in the day, but it's still something to be aware of. My U2 reissue sounded really, really cool for certain things, but I couldn't get over the ultra cheap feel. The Dead-On '67s I've played - probably 5 in total - have felt even worse.

I've had good luck with Squier Telecasters, though. I cherry-picked a good Affinity a few years ago, and all the CVs I've played have been great.

• Members

Before you buy one, know that they all feel cheap. It's supposed to be part of their charm, as they were cheap guitars back in the day, but it's still something to be aware of. My U2 reissue sounded really, really cool for certain things, but I couldn't get over the ultra cheap feel. The Dead-On '67s I've played - probably 5 in total - have felt even worse.

I've had good luck with Squier Telecasters, though. I cherry-picked a good Affinity a few years ago, and all the CVs I've played have been great.

Yea I've heard they felt cheap and "light." I really don't mind that. I just care about the sound (although I obviously don't want something uncomfortable...)You said the Dano was good for certain things.

So in your opinion, is the tele more versatile?

• Members

Dano all the way.

I love my Tele to bits, but honestly, it doesn't do anything that my Danos cannot do. The Dano is born from a one night stand between a Tele and a Rick. It will jangle for days but it will fatten up considerably because of the hollow body and the series wiring in the middle position.

Pick up a used late 90s '59 or U2 for under $200 and be happy. The current '59 is also pretty good but slightly heavier than older models (though still pretty light under 7lb). I personally love the '67 but not a lot of people do.

Finally, the biggest issue with Danos is intonation. There are various ways to avoid problems in this area, like getting a replacement bridge or buying the modified spec. For well-adjusted saddles, this is not even a problem (think acoustic guitars).

• Members

Yea I've heard they felt cheap and "light." I really don't mind that. I just care about the sound (although I obviously don't want something uncomfortable...)You said the Dano was good for certain things.

So in your opinion, is the tele more versatile?

I'd say the Tele is way more versatile. Only a Dano can achieve that Dano in-between tone, but the Tele will do everything else better, in my opinion.

• Members

If you can only get one, I'd go for the Tele. Dano's are nice, but have... a characteristic tone.

A Tele can do anything from smoothe jazz to brain scorching psychobilly. Broader tonal palette. So yeah, I think they're more versatile.

• Members

I played some danos at gc. Dont know if its the same model you mention. They were in wild colors and had a simple straight across bridge. I thought it was a solidbody but maybe masonite?? I think it was a short scale which is kinda neat in a way. Gives a different feel. I sort of liked it and the shape was cool. But I bought the butterscotch affinity tele. No need to cherrypick. I've loved every one I've picked up. The Dano's I played did have a certain something you may like but I think those butterscotches are beautiful and play like a demon

• Members

I had an old Dano that had a sound to kill for but it was a real cheaply made guitar. Constant tuning and felt like I was playing a Roy Rogers cardboard guitar. But I went thru that phase of buying the old cheap classics I grew up with and in the end it was fruitless. Sold them all. But now I am going back to collecting the new cheapies because they seem to be much higher on the quality issues.

Archived