A Tale of Three Strats...

vintage clubber

• Members

So I was making a couple of adjustments on the Squier Bullet Stevie Ray Vaughnabie last night and plugged it in to play a bit. I'm still amazed at how nice this guitar turned out and plays. I did get a white tipped trem arm for it as well.

IMG_4203.jpg

Next I plugged in the Creamsickle which was originally a MIA Big Apple strat. It is wired with Fender Fat '50's pickups and is a great player.

IMG_4145-1.jpg

Lastly, I plugged in the Girly Monster which was originally a New York Pro. This one has the $50 set of GFS Vintage Alnico Strat pickups in it. This one is going to get a few more upgrades this week - steel gfs block (if it fits) , new tuners, tusq nut.

girlymonster1.jpg

Here's the interesting part...When I played the bone stock 54 Epi LP Oxblood against my Epi Peter Green with the BG pickups last week there was a huge difference in their tones. The difference in these strats was nominal. The MIA definately looks/feels a little better than the other two as it should for the price difference, but soundwise they are all three very close and I could not hear the kind of difference present in the two Epiphone LP's. All three guitars were wired and set up by me.

:wave:

• Members

I have a similar story. I picked up a Deluxe Players Strat. Beautiful guitar, sounded good with the Vintage Noiseless pickups.

Sold it and picked up a Deluxe Lone Star with 2 Tx Specials and a Pearly Gates HB. Decided that the HSS setup wasn't for me. I liked the Tx Specials better than the noiseless pups in the Deluxe Player but not a lot better.

I found a Squier Standard Special Strat (the cherryburst one) for $70 on CL in great shape. It badly needed a setup and new strings... but.... After I set it up and re-strung it, I think I might like it as much as the other two. The stock Squier alnico pups sound great, very articulate and vintage. The 2 point trem is great once set up and adjusted to float. The tuners are fine.

So the $70 Squier Std is about 95% as good as the 2 $400 Deluxe Series MIM's.

• Members

I have a feeling the BG pups have something do with your Epis sounding so much different.
:thu:

absolutely! The oxblood should have it's Lizard set in the next few weeks...:o

The strats all have different pickups though: Fat '50's, Texas Specials, and GFS. IMHO the differences in those pickups/guitars tone is very subtle. Maybe though a larger, higher end amp like a Twin Reverb there would be more distinction. I was playing through my Crate VC2110 with the Eminence Legend 10" alnico. I could definately tell a huge difference between the Les Pauls vs between the strats.

• Members

I have a similar story. I picked up a Deluxe Players Strat. Beautiful guitar, sounded good with the Vintage Noiseless pickups.

Sold it and picked up a Deluxe Lone Star with 2 Tx Specials and a Pearly Gates HB. Decided that the HSS setup wasn't for me. I liked the Tx Specials better than the noiseless pups in the Deluxe Player but not a lot better.

I found a Squier Standard Special Strat (the cherryburst one) for $70 on CL in great shape. It badly needed a setup and new strings... but.... After I set it up and re-strung it, I think I might like it as much as the other two. The stock Squier alnico pups sound great, very articulate and vintage. The 2 point trem is great once set up and adjusted to float. The tuners are fine.

So the $70 Squier Std is about 95% as good as the 2 $400 Deluxe Series MIM's.

I've tried a few of those Squier Standards and they do sound pretty damn good for their price point...:o

• Members

No offense intended here. But I heard my first Gibson Les Paul Goldtop with the trapeze bridge sometime in the mid 50's and the sound of it blew me away. It was Johnny Watts playing rythm on it with the Starbrites. It was not clear like a Fender but had a muffled rumble to it, like the stock Epi LPs have now. I choose to leave my guitars alone without any mods and my new Epi LP Standard has that exact sound. Perfect for me. That is how I want it to sound! And in that manner they replicated that exact sound, why {censored} with it? "Just a thought."

• Members

No offense intended here. But I heard my first Gibson Les Paul Goldtop with the trapeze bridge sometime in the mid 50's and the sound of it blew me away. It was Johnny Watts playing rythm on it with the Starbrites. It was not clear like a Fender but had a muffled rumble to it, like the stock Epi LPs have now. I choose to leave my guitars alone without any mods and my new Epi LP Standard has that exact sound. Perfect for me. That is how I want it to sound! And in that manner they replicated that exact sound, why {censored} with it? "Just a thought."

none taken...The BG Lizards will enhance the sound of the oxblood way beyond the stock pickups. The stock pickups aren't bad and I may very well use them for a different project. The why is because I enjoy tinkering and hot rodding my guitars.

Archived