Recording Noise

paulojcduarte

• Members

I'll try to remember to listen when I get home.

The most important thing to remember when recording on your computer is that you don't have to have the input levels pegged. Turn down your input until it isn't even close to clipping. If it's too quiet, you can always go back later and normalize it to closer to 0db. Once you've recorded a clipped signal, you can't do anything to fix it.

• Members

After listening, it sounds like to me you're trying to record at 24 bit and your sound card is only capable of recording at 16 or something like that. It's not your everyday digital clipping. It really does sound like you need to make sure your recording software is set to record at whatever bit rate your soundcard can handle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sounded a lot like quantization error to me. What bit depth were you using? Sounded like it could have been at 8-bit to me.

Basically your audio only has 256 levels it can digitize and it becomes very stairstepped sounding and is most noticeable in lower passages.

It also sounded like you may have had a ground or really bad hum issue in there as well. Are these single coils or were you picking up a lot of hum?

In regards to latency, are you using ASIO drivers? If so than something is wrong. You shouldn't be getting anything higher than 10-25ms of latency if it's internal or firewire. If it's USB than you can see up to about 50ms in my experiences. Depending on the model you can go in there and tweak the buffer and sample size to try to lower it, but you usually end up with some dropout.

Archived