Adios Orange Drops?

Meowy

• Members

I just got a handful of .022 and .047 Cornell-Dubilier (CDE) film caps from Mouser. I just popped one in my Tele and am very impressed. About the same price ($2 each) as Orange Drops and I think with much more character. And the bright Yellow Mallory-like packaging looks pretty badass too.

Tomorrow, they go into my LP and SG

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/WMF1S22K-F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvOcEq4GH1AAoHLpsfs0qLQ3J4Shb5MZvc%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/WMF1S47K-F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvOcEq4GH1AAnR%252b7N%252btM3uAaNXxXM6X0sg%3d

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those are something to keep in mind. I've used Mojo Dijons a few times. I like them quite a bit. For my most recent projects I've used Mojo Vitamin T's. Great sounding and pretty cheap for oil filled caps.

Although I recently ordered a few cheap parts from Bezdez and added some of their metallized foil caps. Not bad for $0.50 a cap. I'd buy them again.

• Members

I just got a handful of .022 and .047 Cornell-Dubilier (CDE) film caps from Mouser. I just popped one in my Tele and am very impressed. About the same price ($2 each) as Orange Drops and I think with much more character. And the bright Yellow Mallory-like packaging looks pretty badass too.

Tomorrow, they go into my LP and SG

I bought those recently because I had an order going at a place that didn't have Orange Drops and I didn't want to spend the shipping opening a new order at another place. They are good caps.

• Members

... And the bright Yellow Mallory-like packaging looks pretty badass too....

Actually, there is a reason for that, Mallory is a a division of CDE :)

The ones you linked are polyester film and said to sound warmer than polypropylene film caps, polypropylene is said to sound a little more "hi fi".

OD's come in a couple flavors, 715's are polypropylene and the 225 series are polyester.

• Members

Actually, there is a reason for that, Mallory is a a division of CDE
:)
The ones you linked are polyester film and said to sound warmer than polypropylene film caps, polypropylene is said to sound a little more "hi fi".

OD's come in a couple flavors, 715's are polypropylene and the 225 series are polyester.

I definitely think they do sound warmer. I had a 715 in my tele, 716s in my SG and stock ceramics in my LP. All are now CDE converts. I don't know if if I have ever used the 225s, but I am happy with the swaps I just did to the CDEs.

I see CDE also has a "150" series which are under $1.00 each. From what I can tell the 150s are non-metallized vs the "WMF" series I used which are metallized film. No idea if that makes any difference in a guitar tone circuit.

• Members

may be a stupid question but how do you know which one to choose? You bought the .022 and the .047, which one are you putting in which guitar and why. I don't anything about caps, as you can probably tell.

• Members

may be a stupid question but how do you know which one to choose? You bought the .022 and the .047, which one are you putting in which guitar and why. I don't anything about caps, as you can probably tell.

General rule of thumb:

.047 = single coils

.022 = HBs

My Tele actually has a Minihum in the neck, but it brightens up nicely with the .047

• Members

I just ordered one of these. We'll see.

EG

Coulda saved you $2. ($10/pair)

And all I sell have been tested for leakage, value (had some .022's that measured closer to .033), and have leads dressed to US Mil Spec.

(these are a few years old and inevitably funky from storage)

PM me if you dig what shows up, and want a few more.

• Members

And all I sell have been tested for leakage, value (had some .022's that measured closer to .033), and have leads dressed to US Mil Spec.

D'oh. Wish I would've known. If this one's a bust I'll be in touch.

Stonr: Higher value (.047) equals more highs cuts.

EG

• Members

I've bought from outtahear and so has forum member lowbrow.

For the money, I don't see how you can go wrong with these. I don't know that I can scientifically hear the difference between these and orange drop caps, but I feel these are better.. so what's a couple more $$$ on a $1,000 guitar.

:thu:

• Members

Is there actually a significant difference between regular ceramic caps and these "boutique" caps? I'm curious to try it and see for myself next time I order some stuff.

Subtle tone nuances aside, the biggest issue with cheap 10cent ceramics is they have very loose manufacturing tolerances and quite often measure way out of spec. That .022 ceramic might actually be closer to .033, so when you swap it out with a quality .022 you will hear a big difference.

• Members

Is there actually a significant difference between regular ceramic caps and these "boutique" caps? I'm curious to try it and see for myself next time I order some stuff.

yes and no. yes, in that people will tell you there is a difference. no, in that there is no scientific evidence to support that claim.

• Members

On paper, solid state beats tube
:)

Maybe if the paper you're reading is about digital logic :idk: It's no mystery to science that tube and SS amps don't produce identical sound. It's also no mystery that different types of caps do behave differently. However, at the very low voltages and frequencies of a passive guitar tone control, I'd guess that the differences are pretty small. Whether or not they are too small to hear, I don't know.

• Members

Cost you $10 to
find out for yourself
:thu:

If I already had a good recording setup to make A/B clips, yes. Trying to compare subtle changes like a cap without A/B clips would be ridiculous, a much better study in psychology than sound. I do have some orange drops on hand, perhaps I'll swap them into a guitar and compare. Unfortunately the best I can do for recording is direct to the audio interface.

Archived