Educate me on Dean guitars

Yarbicus

• Members

Local pawn shop must have bought someone's collection because they have at least six of them. I'm not looking for myself but to flip (can't stand that giant V headstock). They have at least one Z with a nicely spalted maple top and several Cadillacs. How can tell if they are low or high end? How does Dean designate the different series of guitars? Any help would be appreciated!

• Members

-all set neck Vs, Zs, MLs, caddys, and Solteros are made in korea.

-there are a few Vs, Zs, caddys, and MLs with the smaller headstock that are made in chez republic which are on par with the US stuff, or even better

-the razor backs are made in china and korea. hard to tell just by looking at em

-bolt ons are made in china, indonesia and vietnam

-the USA say on the back of them if they are made in USA or not. with the exception of the new shenker V, all the USA guitars with binding dont h ave binding on the neck RIGHT ABOVE the neck pickup. all imports have that binding there.

the baby series was made in USA for Z, ML, and V during the 80's. they get a great reputation. the new ones are coming from china and have a bolt on neck.

• Members

I've got quite a number of guitars kicking around here... ;)

But my USA Deans get the lions share of play time;

My USA Dean Time Capsules;

First is a set of three I custom ordered;

Armitage_Dean_BB_V.jpg

Armitage_Dean_BB_Z.jpg

Armitage_Dean_BB_ML.jpg

And a set of two;

Armitage_Custom_Black-Gold_Z.jpg

Armitage_Custom_Black-Gold_V.jpg

My Dean Michael Schenker Customs:

DeanMichaelSchenkerModelBlack.jpg

Armitage_Custom_Schenker_Black_and_.jpg

DeanMichaelSchenkerModelWhite.jpg

• Members

Just took a look a them this afternoon. Most are MIK. However, there are two marked DOA. The Z has DOA - 2006 on the 12th fret inlay and the ML has DOA - 2004. What are these?

these are limited runs that Dean annually makes for their forum members. Generally limited run of 50 (or less) a year. They are MIK imports based off the '79 reissue series. From a post on the Dean forum, the pawn shop is asking too much for the guitars.

• Members

these are limited runs that Dean annually makes for their forum members. Generally limited run of 50 (or less) a year. They are MIK imports based off the '79 reissue series. From a post on the Dean forum, the pawn shop is asking too much for the guitars.

Interesting statement since I haven't told you how much they are asking! :lol:

The standard MIK stuff is $499 and the DOA ones are marked at $999. They have already put 10% stickers on several so they are starting to figure out that they are overpriced. I know what the standard MIK guits are going for but what about the DOA? A run of 50 is actually pretty cool.

Here's a picture of 2006

Dean_DOA_Lg.jpg

• Members

1000 is WAY WAY WAY overpriced for a DOA.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious. Oh well. I may just pass on them all.

It is interesting, though. They have about seven Deans in all including those DOAs--must have bought out someones lifelong collection. Probably paid peanuts, too.

• Members

DOAs generally are about 100-200 dollars more expensive than regular guitars. however, the new 2010 DOA is the deciever which is priced ridiculously low!

here are the V and the ML in blue burst similar to the DOA Z you saw up there

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-DEAN-ML-79-BLUE-BURST-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ300414507218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45f21998d2

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-DEAN-V-79-BLUE-BURST-MOP-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ300414659281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45f21bead1

and the Solteros are a very classy guitar! if you're a fan of any single cut guitars, then solteros should be something people should look into. very different, and very classy looking

Archived