New Rondo Ash Body Day

webwarmiller

• Members

For $60 shipped I'm very impressed. Yes, it's a bit thin at 1 9/16ths but that was known before ordering it. Pocket is dead on 2 3/16ths and all three necks I have fit very tightly...have to press them in there. Pocket is also dead flat with no router markings or other abnormalities. I like that the neck holes haven't been drilled as I plan to contour the heel and use inserts instead of a neck plate

Body weighs 3lbs 13oz which means it probably really is swamp ash as northern ash would weigh a good deal more. The wood is matched well in color if not all that well in grain. I was worried about the color matching as this body will get a simple open pore danish oil finish.

Here are the pics:

p1020997.jpg

p1020999.jpg

p1030001.jpg

And one with a little mineral spirits to help the grain show a bit better:

p1030004g.jpg

• Members

Damn, that looks good. I might have to take the plunge on one of those for a slide guitar that I want to build. What necks have you tried to fit?

I have a mighty mite neck that I am thinking might be a good fit.

Lou

• Members

ash or swamp ash? (oh you mentioned that) Are some bodies kinda between swamp and regular or something? Because people often disagree on how heavy regular ash is.

I've seen some swamp ash bodies that are a good bit over 5lbs and some northern ash bodies that are around the same. As wood is a natural material there can be a lot of variance.

• Members

One more question, is that body sealed or is it plain wood. Just thinking how it would take stain.

If it's got any sanding sealer on it, it's so thin that I can't tell. It soaked up the mineral spirits pretty quickly. I'll give it a sanding before oiling it anyway as I plan to contour the heel and route the neck pup for a HB (it's getting a JB/59 combo).

The necks I fit were a '96 50th anniv Squier, '09 Squier bullet, and an 80's Kramer striker. All fit TIGHT as they are all 2 3/16th or just a hair wider.

• Members
I've seen some swamp ash bodies that are a good bit over 5lbs and some northern ash bodies that are around the same. As wood is a natural material there can be a lot of variance.

Are you saying God has lousy QC? ;)

• Members
Swamp ash, northern ash, looks good either way!
:thu:

neither. its an asian ash, or possibly Sen (which isnt an ash species)

i had one of these (whole SX guitar), its quite nice no matter which type of ash.

swamp ash inst a species of course, its just the part that grows under water (which makes it lighter after it dries). different suppliers will have different standards to apply the name. mine here in canada specifies a weight actually.

Archived