question about picks for the old-timers

Curling

• Members

back in the day (pre 1975 we'll say) what all options did one have when it came to picks? was it pretty much just fender reg shaped thin medium and heavy or herco nylons?

Only the rich kids had those fancy picks. The rest of us made due with little pieces of animal hide we dried over the evening fire.

• Members
I used bread wrapper tie/clip things.
:idk:

We lived in the country, far away from anything musical, and those were always handy. (this was in the mid-late 60's for me, when I was but a wee lad.)

:thu:

in the late 60s? Bread clips were still imagination.

Actually there was a range of picks and materials. I had thick triangles like Santana uses, T-shell fender style, thumbpicks and finger picks in plastic and steel, a large felt teardrop for bass playing, little flexible jobs shaped like houses.
Thid was before 1970.
I still have some of them. Nos 1 and 2 below.

• Members
I used bread wrapper tie/clip things.
:idk:

We lived in the country, far away from anything musical, and those were always handy. (this was in the mid-late 60's for me, when I was but a wee lad.)

:thu:

I used those when I was in HS and I graduated in 66.

• Members

Blue Wabash picks in the late 50's and early 60's, obtained at the drug store. I remember the large triangle picks but no brand name on them. And back then you had to buy alot of picks because they broke very easily. I guess they were celluloid?

• Members

I used those when I was in HS and I graduated in 66.

no bread clips in UK then! musta come later in a ship full of US culture..

I know becasue I got free bread from a M*thers Pr*de bakery that gave me a free copper wire bag tie in a loaf I bought.

Archived