Peter Green/Carlos Santana Tone/Style Question.

Supernatural

• Members

I know this question probably belongs in another section of H/C but I've been lurking for a while and this one seems the most helpful. Anyway, I've only just started to get into Green and Santana and absolutely love their tone and style (particularly on stuff like 'The Super-natural', 'Albatross', 'Samba Pa Ti', etc), so can anyone recommend me any other guitarists that have a similar tone/playing style?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Members

Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash shows some Peter Green influence in his playing.So does Snowy White.Gary Moore has done a whole Peter Green tribute album with greeny's famous Les Paul.Personally i don't like that album,though.

• Members

Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash shows some Peter Green influence in his playing.So does Snowy White.Gary Moore has done a whole Peter Green tribute album with greeny's famous Les Paul.Personally i don't like that album,though.

Thanks for that. I'll have a listen to some Andy Powell and I'll check out Snowy White (I'd not heard his name until you mentioned it). I've heard Gary Moore's Blues for Greeny LP and, like you, I'm not that huge a fan. Again, thanks.

• Members

Do not understand the fascination with Peter Green.

hmm...Let's see...His songs have been covered by:

Santana

Aerosmith

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Gary Moore - entire album "Blues for Greeny"

I'm sure a bunch of others not even listed on that Rattlesnake Guitar compilation.

He wrote some great tunes and played a mean guitar and influenced dozens of big name players and countless others. What's not interesting about that?

• Members

Thanks for that. I'll have a listen to some Andy Powell and I'll check out Snowy White (I'd not heard his name until you mentioned it). I've heard Gary Moore's Blues for Greeny LP and, like you, I'm not that huge a fan. Again, thanks.

"Blues for Greeny" is actually one of my favorite Gary Moore discs...:freak:

• Members

For that type of tone check out the first four Allman Bros albums (up till Eat A Peach) and the most recent ones with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes.

To explore the roots of that sound investigate the three Kings-Albert, BB and Freddie.

• Members

For that type of tone check out the first four Allman Bros albums (up till Eat A Peach) and the most recent ones with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes.

To explore the roots of that sound investigate the three Kings-Albert, BB and Freddie.

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of advice I was after!

• Members

the ABB recordings from the late '80's - mid '90's with Warren Haynes and Dickey Betts are also worth grabbing up...:o

• Members

I know this question probably belongs in another section of H/C but I've been lurking for a while and this one seems the most helpful. Anyway, I've only just started to get into Green and Santana and absolutely love their tone and style (particularly on stuff like 'The Super-natural', 'Albatross', 'Samba Pa Ti', etc), so can anyone recommend me any other guitarists that have a similar tone/playing style?

Thanks a lot in advance.

this do anything for ya?

[YOUTUBE]ZVBMJickUeM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

the ABB recordings from the late '80's - mid '90's with Warren Haynes and Dickey Betts are also worth grabbing up...
:o

But have virtually nothing in common with Peter Green's tone or feel.

• Members

That did a lot for me, I was always a big admirer of Ronnie Montrose's guitar playing.

To the OP, I don't think you're going to find guitarists that sound like other guitarists, they all have their own individual approach to the guitar. And that is what makes them stand out.

You will, however, find guitarists that are heavily influenced by other guitarists. But if they're any good, they usually have their own voice and style on the guitar.

• Members

All I know is that his 59 Les Paul had one of the magnets flipped over by mistake from the factory, so that when he combined them they were out of phase. Instead of recognizing something was wrong, he went for it, mixing the pickups in odd ways and creating a different sound through highly overdriven amps.

• Members

Besides those already mentioned check out Mick Taylor. He replaced Green in the Blues Breakers and did an outstanding job both there and with the stones. A stones track like Can't you hear me knocking with its edge of breakup clear sustain is right out of the gp playbook.

• Members

Peter's still performing.I saw him last week in Sydney.His voice was weak but his guitar playing was in damn fine form.he cetainly has some of his mojo left.If you get the chance go see him while you still can.

I filmed some of the show and will put the clips on youtube soon.

Archived