Jazzmaster: Does anyone actually get those ridiculous prices?

rbrunelli3

• Members

I've been looking for an original Jazzmaster for some time. There seems to be a large disconnect between the sellers, who think that they are all worth at least $3500, but more likely upwards of $4500, and the buyers who aren't even bothering to bid at those prices?

What gives?

• Members

You can say the same thing about almost all American guitars made before 1980.

But the Jazzmaster actually has a pretty impressive roster of brilliant musicians associated with it, unlike the Jaguars and Mustangs and Starcasters and Mosrites and Guild solidbodies that also relist endlessly in eBay at their absurdly high prices. Last time I checked, Jazzys were still a whole lot cheaper than Strats and Teles of the same vintage.

• Members

I think the price of Jazzmasters, though not ideal, is pretty feasible considering its history and its mojo factor.

What I don't understand is why the Duo-Sonic II and the Mustang are upwards of $1k. Those were student guitars for crying out loud. Nobody even played them except for those who found them in pawn shops or used guitar stores and didn't have the money for a Telecaster or Jazzmaster. It's as if in 2015 if I sold an '87 Squier MIJ 3/4 Jr Stratocaster for $1200.

Sorta ridiculous. Just goes to show you though, something is only worth what someone will pay for it!

• Members

Re: OP

It only takes one buyer for one guitar.

Check the inventory at Gruhn and Elderly for realistic sticker prices on actual vintage instruments. $3500 is not out of line for a verified all-original vintage 1960's Jazzmaster. More than twice that much is not unheard-of for choice specimens (like the Oly white '62 at Gruhn).

I think the price of Jazzmasters, though not ideal, is pretty feasible considering its history and its mojo factor.

What I don't understand is why the Duo-Sonic II and the Mustang are upwards of $1k. Those were student guitars for crying out loud. Nobody even played them except for those who found them in pawn shops or used guitar stores and didn't have the money for a Telecaster or Jazzmaster. It's as if in 2015 if I sold an '87 Squier MIJ 3/4 Jr Stratocaster for $1200.

Sorta ridiculous. Just goes to show you though, something is only worth what someone will pay for it!

The irony is that early 80's JV and SQ series Squiers might actually sell for close to your $1200 price point.

• Members

Re: OP

It only takes one buyer for one guitar.

Check the inventory at Gruhn and Elderly for realistic sticker prices on actual vintage instruments. $3500 is not out of line for a verified all-original vintage 1960's Jazzmaster. More than twice that much is not unheard-of for choice specimens (like the Oly white '62 at Gruhn).

The irony is that early 80's JV and SQ series Squiers
might
actually sell for close to your $1200 price point.

*hangs onto MIM '93 strat in the hopes that one day I will be able to sell it and buy a house*

• Members

Before Nirvana hit it huge, offset guitars weren't very coveted at all and didn't command high prices on the vintage market. You could score them easily well under $1000. All it takes is one huge star to become associated with an specific model old guitar to elevate it from "used" to "vintage".

• Members

No the prices are not ridiculous, but they are to some, unconscienable.
The dealers inflate the prices based on what they think they can get for a given piece.
The more desirable the guitar, the higher the prices go.
While some vintage guitars can be collectible, others are just a joke for what is being asked for them.

• Members

All it takes is one huge star to become associated with an specific model old guitar to elevate it from "used" to "vintage".

It happens time and again. I'm a big fan of the Gibson RD. If I remember right several years ago you could get a mint one for $500-$900 and now people are asking well over that for one with wear. Wear doesn't bother me because I would play the hell out of one of those anyway but damn you Dave Grohl.

Archived