Scofield Owns Mayer...

Will Chen

• Members

I admit to being a John Mayer fan. I'll even say that I really liked his Gravity and Trio albums and played the hell out of both of them. But I'm a John Scofield fanatic. In hearing them trade licks in this live clip, Sco just rocks Mayer's world IMHO. Of course this track is from a Scofield album so Mayer isn't allowed to really let loose. Still, Sco's one of the few guitarists that continues to impress me in both his extreme versatility and unique playing which at times is so unguitar sounding. Your thoughts?

Here's the studio track:

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Scofield/_/I+Don't+Need+No+Doctor?autostart

And a live performance:

[YOUTUBE]9gkTF-vZ_bM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Funny, I remember chatting with John Scofield when that CD came out and he had nothing but praise for John Mayer's work on that track. "He's the real deal," was what Sco said about Mayer.

You know Sco or was this in passing at a gig?

I think Mayer is a great player and his vocal work is great in this track. But listen to Sco's licks! He knows exactly what to play and when for maximum impact. Mayer comes off sounding generic and a bit amateurish...

• Members

You know Sco or was this in passing at a gig?

I interviewed him when the Ray Charles tribute record first came out. Unfortunately, the site I interviewed him for is under maintenance so I can't post the link.

I think Mayer is a great player and his vocal work is great in this track. But listen to Sco's licks! He knows exactly what to play and when for maximum impact. Mayer comes off sounding generic and a bit amateurish...

Obviously Sco's got a few more years under his belt playing-wise, and he's still working on his craft. But, in the Youtube clip, you can see Sco occasionally grinning at Mayer when he tosses in a fill: definitely a "nice one, kid" look.

• Members

There's very few people sco wouldnt own in a setting like that. Mayer did alright by himself there, and he did a whole lot better than I would in that same setting

Oh man, I'm not saying I could do any better. If I ever got the opportunity to share a stage with Scofield, I'd {censored} the bed no doubt...

• Members

I don't see any superiority either way there particularly because the actual trading licks part is so short and Sco does get a really long lead section earlier on but I really liked Mayer's playing a bit more in the short part where they actually are trading (about 3:10 just before they are playing the harmony part together).

In an all-out duel...who knows? I might be inclined to put money on the guy who has played longer but Mayer certainly has a load of technique in his toolbox from his days as a wannabe guitar hero.

• Members

I am also a Mayer fan (unashamedly so) and one thing I have noticed about him is that, when playing with someone his "elder" (Buddy Guy, for example) he tones it down and lets the other play. It may be respect, awe, or not wanting to look like he's trying to upstage them, but it's what he does.

• Members

I am also a Mayer fan (unashamedly so) and one thing I have noticed about him is that, when playing with someone his "elder" (Buddy Guy, for example) he tones it down and lets the other play. It may be respect, awe, or not wanting to look like he's trying to upstage them, but it's what he does.

Interesting. I almost posted earlier that he sounded intimidated, but contained is probably a better choice of words. Perhaps this is by his choice...

• Members

I think he has loads of respect for 'established' people in music. I recall he had received a songwriter award and then introduced James Taylor for a live performance with much humility as 'the blueprint'.

• Members

Wow, 0 ownage in the video at all, unless were talking tone here. Mayer owned there. Nothing more grating then listening to Sco's weaksuace {censored}ing tone. Great Player, but very very irritating to me. Not a fan of mayer either, but if given the opportunity to choose one or the other, I would choose JM.

• Members

Well, mayer can sing a lot better, at least. :lol: Sco is miles ahead though (no pun intended) in technique, harmonic sense and musical sophistication. Not surprising, since he is acknowledged as one of the greatest modern jazz fusion players ever. I didn't see it as a competition, though, just two players jamming a well-rehearsed tune.

• Members
didnt see much "owning"..... just two guys jamming to a jazzy blues tune
:idk:

And I actually preferred Mayer's bluesy angle more than Sco's jazzier approach. I don't own a single song or disc from either of them, so no bias coming into this.

• Members
Scofield's 'A Go Go' is a timeless album that I will probably listen to with some frequency for the rest of my life.

:thu:

Absolutely.

I guess I won't say Mayer's playing was bad or anything, but if I close my eyes, I can't tell it was him that was playing; just kinda generic. Sco on the otherhand is completely unique. I can tell it's him right away. Same goes for guys like Clapton, Beck, SRV, etc. Mayer just hasn't developed a unique sound yet, IMO.

Archived