N Old GD!!!

Norcal_GIT_r

• Members

Originally Posted by Kevman View Post

HN80sGD! (o)(o) Kahler flyer is not a weak link here. You can get different saddle rollers (steel) if you want to brighten the tone.

That looks like a killer guitar. The temptation for me would to refinish the thing in some wild-ass 80s geometric pattern. Like a Cosby sweater!

This is what I've been considering doing. Seems like a nice upgrade.

You gonna upgrade the saddles or the finish? :) Fabric finish with actual Cosby Sweater?

• Members

Just found this info on the interwebz -

I bought this several years ago from a pawn shop. It came with a letter from Gibson saying what it is.

I have since lost the letter from gibson but this is what I recall.

1989 Gibson Melody Maker

2 Bill Laurence pickups

Celebrity series pick guard

Kahler Flyer tremlo

Deluxe String Lock

Explorer neck

Grover tuners

Serial # 81239724 as far as I can tell. The paint is so thick on the back of the neck it is hard to make it out.

The letter said it was made at the end of the year with extra parts in the factory. They called it a build out. 4 were made, 2 were scrapped out so only 2 made it out the door.

Its a sweet playing guitar but with one downfall. It fell over in a guitar stand several years ago and cracked where the headstock meets the neck. I had it repaired but you can still see the crack on the paint.

I'm a player and not a collector but I try not to play it out on gigs much.

I suppose I should trade it off for a player.

Just wanted to share it with other Gibson lovers.

If you know anything else about it please let me know.

• Members

awsome... HNGD Bryan... i love your Pure 90's period;)

Thanks Damon.

I did a full head to toe setup and I locked down the trem and removed the locking nut and now the tuning is rock solid and the tone is even better without the lockers.

The feel is just awesome and the tone is on the modern side compared to my 59Ri MM.

Archived