Guitar Case Scent?

powellguitar

• Members

Question for those on the Electric Forum--

I bought a Japanese Strat with fender hard case brand new back in 1993--it was a sweet Purple "Foto Flame" finish, with a maple neck and white pickguard. I vividly remember the smell of the case, it was a sort of Vanilla/Musk combination. Long story short...I do not have either the guitar or the case anymore, and I would like to re-create that scent in my current elec. guitar case.

I am wondering if there are any folks out here on this forum that know what I am talking about, or if Fender used or still uses some sort of scent with new guitar cases.

Looking forward to hearing theories...

Aaron

• Members

I bought a Japanese Strat with fender hard case brand new back in 1993--it was a sweet Purple "Foto Flame" finish, with a maple neck and white pickguard. I vividly remember the smell of the case, it was a sort of Vanilla/Musk combination. Long story short...I do not have either the guitar or the case anymore, and I would like to re-create that scent in my current elec. guitar case.

I am wondering if there are any folks out here on this forum that know what I am talking about, or if Fender used or still uses some sort of scent with new guitar cases.

Aaron

Good question. I had a Charvel Model 3 back in the late '80s which also had that smell. I can still recall it, but have never had another guitar case with the same scent.

• Members

Aaron

Well, my '95 MIJ Strat smelled like pancake syrup... close enough to vanilla musk. :idk:

• Members

Good question. I had a Charvel Model 3 back in the late '80s which also had that smell. I can still recall it, but have never had another guitar case with the same scent.

My Charvel 375 has the original chainsaw case, and it STILL smells like that.. I love that case..

• Members

My Charvel 375 has the original chainsaw case, and it STILL smells like that.. I love that case..

Yes, I had the chainsaw case too! I got rid of that guitar for a US Jackson, but don't recall the smell from that chainsaw case.

I miss that smell. :cry:

• Members

I had a case that came with an Aims tele-style back around '74 that reeked of some cat-piss-like chemical odor. The stink finally went out of it when the foam under the felt liner broke down (about ten years later), which makes me surmise it was the foam itself that stank.

• Members

Fabreeze. I kept a scented candle in one case that had a bad smell. Helped a bunch but would have to scrape wax off the strings if it got tossed around.

Those cheap mf tweed cases smell terrible new- gotta air them out for a couple weeks.

• Members

Thanks for the great suggestions out there such as "pancake syrup", "old spice", "scented candle" and the "glue"...

So, again, does anyone know of scents added to guitar cases by the manufacturer--surely someone on this forum has to know some tips of the trade that are done, it couldn't be as easy as putting a candle in the case (could it?) Especially when vanilla candle scent is close, but no cigar.

Thanks

Aaron

Archived