guitar setup taking a month?

bluesguyjon

• Members

title basically describes the situation. gave my beloved strat to a tech (for the first time) because he was recommended to me by a couple of my friends after complaining to them about the sub-par-ness of all my previous setups. he just does setups and repairs, doesn't really have anything to sell. i can understand if i'm not the first guy in his queue, but a month? doesn't a setup take at most like an hour or something? i'm not a tech, so i dunno.

just wondering if i'm being, you know...irrational or something. i called the guy after a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and then about every two days after that up until now when he just said he'd call me when he's done (every previous time he said in 1 or 2 days). i'm half thinking of just going and picking it up and taking it to someone else.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A month is a while, I would call him up. It would at least be nice to know why it's taking so long, and if push comes to shove, I'd take it to someone else if there's another decent tech in your area. It took a couple weeks for my tech to get to my strat, but a month seems a bit long.

• Members

What exactly is he doing? What did you ask him to do? If he's just making adjustments, it shouldn't take long at all. If he's doing fretwork, nutwork, or anything more extensive, it'd take a bit longer, but certainly not a month.

Regardless, I'd recommend that you learn to setup your guitars yourself. It's simple stuff and will save you bundles of money (and apparently time too).

• Members

Well the fact that he has people that recommend him, he's written some articles for Guitar World (so he told me), he has a website, and he seemed legit to me. There was another old spanish guy milling around that does all of their acoustic work.

all that to me made it seem like there wasn't anything weird going on.

EDIT: and yeah, i need to just learn it myself. i did a rewiring job on it for christ sake (sorry, i'm kinda pissed :p). just a simple setup to fine tune intonation, sustain, that sort of thing. it also had a fret dot missing (little brother, don't ask), he said he'd replace that.

there's not a guitar tech for dummies book by any chance, is there?

• Members

I have Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide. It's excellent, I always reference it if I'm doing guitar work. However, I don't take it as gospel. He works with stew-mac and promotes their products whenever possible. Granted, they are usually awesome products, but they're a bit pricey. Generally I check the book first then the forums to cross reference.

Available here. I have the previous edition, I can't imagine a whole lot has changed.

• Members

EDIT: and yeah, i need to just learn it myself. i did a rewiring job on it for christ sake (sorry, i'm kinda pissed
:p
). just a simple setup to fine tune intonation, sustain, that sort of thing. it also had a fret dot missing (little brother, don't ask), he said he'd replace that.

45 minute job there. Get your {censored}ing guitar back. All kinds of resources are available. Google adjust guitar intonation for example. And don't be afraid of your guitar, it's just wood and simple mechanics.

• Members

The longest I've ever had to wait is 2 weeks. This was at a reputable shop and they told me ahead of time that they were swamped. Every time I've had a guitar setup they have told me when it would be ready, they know their workload.

I have a suspicion that this guy effed up your guitar somehow

• Members

If the neck relief has been adjusted via the truss rod, it's not wholly unreasonable to wait 1 to 2 weeks to finish the set up after. Just to make sure the neck has settled.

Still, you'd think that after 4 weeks of you bugging him regularly he'd either told you why it was taking so long, or offered you to have it back with no work done.

• Members

If the neck relief has been adjusted via the truss rod, it's not wholly unreasonable to wait 1 to 2 weeks to finish the set up after. Just to make sure the neck has settled.

Still, you'd think that after 4 weeks of you bugging him regularly he'd either told you why it was taking so long, or offered you to have it back with no work done.

This.

If somebody adjusts your guitar neck and gives it back to you within a day, they didn't do it right.

But 4 weeks is a little on the long side. They owe you at least an explanation.

• Members

You think a whole week is needed? Whenever I've done truss rod adjustments it's usually settled within a day.

4 weeks is too damned long. The most I've waited was 10 days but that included the repairman coming down with the flu.

• Members

I think it's time to become your own tech. It's not really that hard and you'll save money and by the sounds of it, time. I tweak mine a couple of times a year if they need it (lots of humidity where I live).

There are tonnes of stuff on the net to learn to set-up. Get some tools from Stew-mac and do it yourself. It's fun and nobody can set your guitar up the way you can. You know exactly what you want.

My roomates are professional musicians and they can't set their guitars up. It bewilders me.

Seriously, it's easy!!!

• Members

A month might - just might - be acceptable if he was The Best Tech In The World and guaranteed that your guitar would be returned so brilliantly set up that you would instantly sound as good as Jimi Hendrix. Assuming that's not the case here, I think he's taking the p1ss. Go and get your guitar back and pray to the gods of guitar-based music that it's still in one piece.

Archived