Which GFS for a classic tone that's brighter than Epi HOTCH(G)?

GilmourD

• Members

Well, I've installed the VEH. I have to say that the only unfortunate thing is that it's after 2am and I have a sleeping wife... LOL

However, I did turn up my retubed Vox AC4TV8 for a good crunch on the 1/10 watt setting and let an Amaj ring out for just long enough to hear it but short enough to not get a shoe wedged between my lower set of cheeks. LOL

The improvement is amazing. Much brighter but still fat and humbuckery. The string-to-string separation is immensely improved. At a lower volume (and thus less gain) it matches well with the neck pickup with the switch in the middle position. It actually even makes me appreciate the neck pickup a bit more than I had, probably because I was so disappointed with the plugged-in bridge tone of the stock pickup.

I'll certainly let 'er rip tomorrow, but the verdict is that I made a good choice here.

• Members

I have a set of VEH's in my Douglas and I love them. Let us know how yours works out when you have a chance to crank up the volume. If you feel up to even more modding, you might consider swapping in a push-pull pot so you can split the pickup. I almost prefer the sound of the VEH's split and use their split sounds far more than on any other humbuckers I own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Since 1.0 is now back, let's get back to things.

The more I play the guitar, now, the more I like this pickup. It might not be perfect for everybody or every guitar, but damn if this wasn't just a good {censored}ing match.

Archived