GFS pickups for rockabilly

burton4snow

• Members

I modded my rhythm guitarist's Faded V a few months ago. I was short a guitar for our last rehearsal, so I played it.

I put a Dream 180 in the bridge, it has a really nice jangly tone. I think it would do rockabilly kind of stuff really well. It really gave me a Gretsch vibe, despite being a V. Low output, fairly bright tone, and no hum. I really liked it.

• Members

Judging from the clips I think you're right, Surf 90's sound pretty good - but I've never personally played them. Uma Floresta has a set and seems to think quite highly of them, maybe pm him?

Yes, Surf 90s are perfect for more vintagy rockabilly, like Gene Vincent. Basically if you want the sound of original rockabilly, it's a choice between Dynasonic style pickups (like Surf 90s) and P90s (lots of options there at GFS). Or put a P90 in the neck and a Surf 90 in the bridge if you want to be Eddie Cochran.

If you want a more modern, Brian Sezter type tone, I think any of the Retrotron humbuckers should get you there. I'd choose either Memphis or Liverpool - Nashville are ceramic. Gretsch used ceramic magnets in Filtertrons for a while, but most people consider their alnico versions to be superior.

The P180s should probably work as well, since they seem to be very similar in concept to a Filtertron, if not in appearance.

Archived