Lap Love Again .. A Build Thread

Quarter

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

... And great job w/ the TruOil too, I assumed it was a poly from the glass-like finish.

Thanks, I am really happy how it turned out.

I love the way Tru Oil brings out the color and depth of wood and have been experimenting with different methods to apply it.

On this one, what I did was wipe the Tru Oil on as normal, but instead of wooling between coats, I built a couple coats and then wet sanded with mineral spirits and 400 paper, taking it down to almost wood.

The low spots / pores will show as shiny spots. You keep adding finish and wet sanding till the shiny spots are gone.

Once leveled and filled I sprayed 3 coats of Tru Oil and let it cure for a week.

To finish it off, I rubbed it out with some of Birchwood Caseys Stock Sheen & Conditioner.

This was my first time using the Stock Sheen & Conditioner, other than on some test pieces, and I like the way it works.

Its a very nice light cutting liquid that appears to be mainly a ultra fine pumice in a liquid vehicle.

I should note, you can get Tru Oil in spray form and its great for the last finishing coats.

Also, after talking with the Birchwood Casey rep, you can thin the regular Tru Oil with mineral spirits up to 50% for spraying through a regular spray gun or air brush.

• Members

Thanks for the info on how you use TruOil, Quarter :)
I recently refinished my MIJ strat (killed off the tacky foto flame finish) with the same stuff: 1863094942_76c880f196.jpg?v=0

However I was only after a soft matte finish to go with the dinged up look of the guitar. I wet sanded after about 5 coats using 1200 grit and mineral turps, and could tell that if I was aiming for a gloss finish that would be the way to go.

I'll file away your tips for future reference in case I do a gloss finish in the future. :thu:

P.S. When are you going to start building regular electrics? I reckon a double cutaway with the same single pickup, woods and bridge cover would look HAWT :rawk:

• Members

Thanks for the info on how you use TruOil, Quarter
:)

No problem, glad to help if I can :)

One cool thing about Tru Oil is that it is very forgiving and the "right" way to put it on is what works for you.

Another interesting technique is I've seen is where some do a light shellac French polish over the top of the Tru Oil for that ultra glossy look.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Thanks all :) ... The Teardrop has been a popular model of mine and I've since built several in both 6 and 8 string configurations. I enjoyed revisiting this build and seeing myself fly by the seat of my pants while creating it.

Are the strings on a lap steel straight or curved? (I.e. like on a classical or electric)? (I never played one as you can see)

Steel guitars use a flat radius to match the bar / steel. Some builders use /get away with using a radiused Gibson type bridge as you don't use a bar that close to the bridge, but in all cases, the nut needs to be cut so the top plane is flat and level. If not level, the strings can rattle and buzz on the bottom of the bar when working down by the nut. Just like on any well playing guitar, setup is very important.

Archived