What do you put on your rosewood fretboards

67mike

• Members
Walnut oil. I don't like mineral oils. They act like a solvent long term pulling the natural oils of the wood out.

Yeah I wouldn't use lemon oil either. I use raw linseed oil. I've heard that's what violin makers use.

• Members

1222423158_FretDoctor_w450_h400.jpg

^ This.

I used to use raw linseed oil. Dan Erlewine used to recommend raw linseed oil, then he stopped, I think he recommends lemon oil now. What I found was if you use the Linseed oil twice, it puts a finish on the wood. So I guess it's OK if you want t little sheen on your board (I never had any problems when I was using raw linseed oil), but the Fret Doctor just gives you a natural-type board, but not totally dry.

• Members

...Dan Erlewine used to recommend raw linseed oil, then he stopped, I think he recommends lemon oil now...

No. He actually says that lemon oils contributes nothing to a fingerboard, although it may be used for cleaning. IIRC, he prefers naphtha for cleaning.

For conditioning I use Roche-Thomas Premium Fingerboard Oil, as used and recommended by John Suhr. Much cheaper than the Fret Doctor, which apparently is also quite good.

My 2 oz. bottle has been used in maybe 8 or 10 guitars in the past couple of years, and will probably last me another 10 years.

• Members

Most of my guitars are from the early '70's and apart from occasionally using GHS Fast Fret to clean the plain strings, I've never used anything to treat the fret boards with other than my fingers. Didn't seem to me like they needed any kind of conditioning.

Archived