Finished my La Cabronita project!

Tweedledee

• Members

I suppose this is kind of anticlimactic given my NGD post for the '66 Jazzmaster I just bought, but I finished my La Cabronita project last week.

Here's the thread where I talked about the beginning of the project and included some photos of the raw body and neck:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2601894

It's a one-piece sugar pine body. I gave it a super thin "Mary Kaye" nitro finish with products from ReRanch. It's so thin that just playing it for a week has already started to create some wear on the edge where my forearm rests while playing. It's definitely the thinnest finish I've managed to pull off.

The neck is a Warmoth vintage modern with a 9.5" radius and 6105 frets. I decided to give the neck a Tru Oil finish and I love how it feels. It's so smooth and fast. The pickup is a Gretsch Filtertron and I wired it with just a standard volume and tone control. I kept it simple.

I made a single-ply white pickguard for it, but it's not perfect so I decided not to put it on. I might try making another one, but I kind of like the naked look.

The one annoying thing is that I bought a vintage style round string tree from GFS and when I tried to install it the head of the screw broke off when I was hand-screwing it in with a screwdriver. This is actually the second time I've had that happen with one of their string tree screws. I also had it happen with one of their Tele bridge mounting screws. All three times I had drilled pilot holes and was only using normal pressure with a screwdriver. I love a lot of GFS products, but I doubt I'll trust their screws anymore. Anyway, I couldn't get the broken screw out. I tried to drill it out but it wouldn't work, so I had to grind it all the way down and install the string tree just to the right of it. It pisses me off because otherwise the guitar would have been perfect, but you live and learn, I guess.

This thing is twang-tastic with some serious balls!

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

• Members

Where's the body from? Warmoth too?

Nope, it's from a guy named Marc Rutters (www.ruttersguitars.com). He makes batches of sugar pine bodies every once in a while and puts them up for sale on the Telecaster forum. I told him how I wanted it routed and he did it and shipped out the body the next day. I was extremely impressed with the quality. I'm actually thinking of making another one with one of his bodies, this time with two pickups and more of a butterscotch finish and tinted amber neck.

• Members

As we'd say in Ireland

That's the bollix!!

That a Wilko half bridge?

I have one on the way for a Tele build

Yep, that's the Wilkinson bridge. Great piece of hardware, IMHO. I like the look better than the Strat-ish hardtail bridge Fender puts on the actual La Cabronita. Plus I just love brass saddles. :D

• Members

As we'd say in Ireland

That's the bollix!!

That a Wilko half bridge?

I have one on the way for a Tele build

I didn't know you were from Ireland. I spent some time working in the sunny southeast back in the 90s. . .I've felt homesick ever since I left. Oh yeah, Tweedledee, make sure to try bar soap on the screws on your next build. You will be amazed how easy they go in.

• Members

I didn't know you were from Ireland. I spent some time working in the sunny southeast back in the 90s. . .I've felt homesick ever since I left. Oh yeah, Tweedledee, make sure to try bar soap on the screws on your next build. You will be amazed how easy they go in.

I did use soapbar screws! :D I found that tip while searching online for screws to use with Filtertrons since the pickup didn't come with any. I bought some soapbar screws on eBay and they worked perfectly.

Archived