NGD - Cherry Dot

milosch

• Members

Congrats! I love Epiphone DOTs.

I have a few myself...... and actually...... I bought a cherry one a few weeks ago. I haven't done a NGD thread on it yet.... but it is sweet!!

I got an EXTREMELY good price on it. $250 with hardshell case. And it's in mint condition.

I polished the frets, treated the board with Fret Doctor, installed some 9s, and lowered the action just a touch.. and it plays like a dream!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have all the parts I need now to put a set of used 57 Classics in it. New pots, caps, and switch. When I get on it this weekend I'll send more pics. I am also putting a graptech nut on it. I like what that does to it.

• Members

New pots and caps:

IMG00146-20100424-0901.jpg

Drilling out the potholes by hand. I went up 1/64 at a time where I could. Also had to do this on the switch hole. Don't forget you will also need a special deep nut for the switch if you go switchcraft:

IMG00147-20100424-0906.jpg

Daring to NOT use string, etc. to guide them back in:

IMG00145-20100424-0835.jpg

• Members

Not bad, really. I'm just glad I thought to check the fit on the parts. The US-sized ones were a little bigger. Actually, the switchcraft jack fit just fine, but barely had enough thread to get the nut on. So, I had to leave the washer off. I think that lining things up on a form really helps location, although they don't exactly drop in.

FWIW, I bought the wiring kit from Guitar Parts Resource, and the pickups from eBay. One guy had several used sets in Gold and Nickel.

Archived