TTM question

tone7426

• Members

yesterday i was in a music store and noticed a TTM 2008 Slayer in their used section.

it was a cream colored Strat style with a HB in the bridge, it had a beautiful, flame maple quatersawn neck, Spertzle locking tuners and a Wilkinson Strat bridge. when i played it unplugged, i was blown away by the tone- rich & full. when we plugged in it was even better, it felt and sounded like a very expensive guitar. i compared it to a new USA Fender that was hanging there and it played & sounded better.

the sales guy gave me a good deal so i bought it.

i own a quite a few high end guitars. when i A/B this with my USA G&L Legacy or 3 other USA built Strats, it has better tone than 3 of them. it reminds me of a Swamp Ash Zion i used to own [and should never have parted with].

are all TTM's this good or did i just stumble on to a really good chunk of wood?

• Members

Here is mine. It too was free. I had CTS pots put in it, better capacitor, and a Rio Grande half-breed pickup in the bridge position. Plays great, stays in tune, very light. My tech dubbed it "the green monster". :lol: Chance also noted thta the pickups were very hot, but the build quality was sloppy. We kept the stock pickup in the neck, it sounds just fine.

ttmdevastator002.th.jpg

• Members

Are they even still in business? They shafted a lot of folks on this forum in their "contest".

It wasn't a contest. People were doubting their quality, so the owner agreed to give a bunch of his guitar away for review. People got em and starting posting honest (ie. bad) reviews, so he stopped sending out free guitars. So there wasn't really a "shaft" involved. More of a "damn, I wish I'd been closer to the start of the list". But, I will agree that the owner (some douche named Lance) is a twit..

For the people that are still miffed about not getting a free guitar, you didn't miss much. I traded mine in at GC and got $150 (I think, maybe it was $100) and put that towards a bass that I gave to a friend. Free money is always nice, but I really had hoped for a fun guitar to keep.

• Members

TTM has a sort of bad rep around here as the owner showed himself to be a bit of a twit.

I'm sure his guitars could be OK though, maybe.

lance is no longer the owner... it's some dude named dave. lance is still involved somehow though. their new stuff looks really good... but then again, so did the old stuff. i like my slayer just fine, but i'll never buy anything from TTM...

• Members

Do a Google search for Lance Benedict, see what you find. You'll find some dealings with used cars on E-Bay from him. He's the one that owned the company.

He also sold guitars that he imported in bulk from China and advertised as "Built in the US" and, in some cases "Made in the US".

I could probably find the whole sordid tale in my e-mails somewhere if anyone really wanted it.

• Members

I think that Lance was especially pissed at me because I tore his website to pieces when I started finding the original sites that he was using all of his images from. For example the cargo ship was from someone's flickr account and the picture of the customer support girl was on about 10 different websites.

{censored} him. He used my name on his website to promote the 'contest' and while I am a bit paranoid, I really didn't want my name up there. Then came the excuses and crap and finally they sent me an email saying that they'd need my social security number and a gov't issued photo ID to send me the guitar. Basically I told him to eat {censored} and that it wasn't going to happen.

I could have given half a {censored} about the guitar to be honest, I offered to do a fair review of the damn thing and told him that I'd send it back after I was done. He insisted on me keeping it which was fine, but if you aren't going to follow through don't say that you are going to do something in the first place.

• Members

I think that Lance was especially pissed at me because I tore his website to pieces when I started finding the original sites that he was using all of his images from. For example the cargo ship was from someone's flickr account and the picture of the customer support girl was on about 10 different websites.

{censored} him. He used my name on his website to promote the 'contest' and while I am a bit paranoid, I really didn't want my name up there. Then came the excuses and crap and finally they sent me an email saying that they'd need my social security number and a gov't issued photo ID to send me the guitar. Basically I told him to eat {censored} and that it wasn't going to happen.

I could have given half a {censored} about the guitar to be honest, I offered to do a fair review of the damn thing and told him that I'd send it back after I was done. He insisted on me keeping it which was fine, but if you aren't going to follow through don't say that you are going to do something in the first place.

Let us know how you really feel. :lol::lol::lol:

Archived