Are there just some keys you cant play in? just dont like?

scuzzo

• Members

as a form of eduction and practice i like to riff along to backing tracks and stuff.. but im finding that there are some keys that i just dont like..

those country kinda progressions.. in G for instance..

just dont vibe with the Key of G very much..

hows bout yous guys...

• Members

as a form of eduction and practice i like to riff along to backing tracks and stuff.. but im finding that there are some keys that i just dont like..

hows bout yous guys...

As a bit of a theory pedant myself, I hope you don't mind me tweaking your post.

You say you do not like the Key of G. Is that G minor I assume?

If it is G major, well then, G major is the same notes and E minor, and of course every guitarist loves E minor. So a love of the G major is a natural fit for us.

I tend to enjoy playing in keys that I normally don't, like F# minor. It makes me have to look at the neck in a different way and so forces me into new ways of dealing with the scales and chords. I seem learn a lot when I do this anyway. Helps me to get outside of a limited way of going about scale and chord work.

Looking at G minor now, I see that I hardly ever use it. Thanks, I 'll give it a crack.

• Members

My example is neither "can't play" nor "don't like". I would call it "keeps me on the edge of my seat".

As a member of a big band, I must read chord charts on the spot in rehearsals (songs I've never played before and in some cases never HEARD before). The pieces are more often than not in keys that are very guitar-unfriendly: Eb, Bb, F and so on. I must play often up the neck (around sixth fret, etc) and that wouldn't be a problem if i didn't have to keep my eyes on the chart! Getting better at it, though. When i started with the band two years ago, I was sweating like a pig trying not to screw up. And I did screw up a few times, even having to stop playing because i lost track of the chart. Doesn't happen anymore, I'm happy to say.

• Members

Country progressions are (most of the time) I, IV, V. Nothing unusual about that. G major is a popular key, true.

But if you don't like country progressions, it's probably the scales, not the key itself. Country leads are usually built on the major pentatonic scales, whereas rock/blues makes more use of the minor pentatonic/blues scales, though obviously not always. I'm guessing that it's the intervals you aren't liking, not necessarily the key. I mean, why hate G major and love A major?

Are major diatonic scales OK for you? (do you also play piano?) Is it just the intervals of the major pentatonics?

The keys that make me think a little, on guitar, is Eb major or minor.

• Members

My example is neither "can't play" nor "don't like". I would call it "keeps me on the edge of my seat".

As a member of a big band, I must read chord charts on the spot in rehearsals (songs I've never played before and in some cases never HEARD before). The pieces are more often than not in keys that are very guitar-unfriendly: Eb, Bb, F and so on. I must play often up the neck (around sixth fret, etc) and that wouldn't be a problem if i didn't have to keep my eyes on the chart! Getting better at it, though. When i started with the band two years ago, I was sweating like a pig trying not to screw up. And I did screw up a few times, even having to stop playing because i lost track of the chart. Doesn't happen anymore, I'm happy to say.

Every guitar player should try playing in a big band/jazz band once. You realize how much you don't know. I was the same way. I used to have to stare at the chart but then I couldn't look at my hands...which was a problem since barely knew how to play any of the chords on the charts. Now it's no big deal.

• Members

Country progressions are (most of the time) I, IV, V. Nothing unusual about that. G major is a popular key, true.

But if you don't like country progressions, it's probably the scales, not the key itself. Country leads are usually built on the major pentatonic scales, whereas rock/blues makes more use of the minor pentatonic/blues scales, though obviously not always. I'm guessing that it's the intervals you aren't liking, not necessarily the key. I mean, why hate G major and love A major?

Are major diatonic scales OK for you? (do you also play piano?) Is it just the intervals of the major pentatonics?

The keys that make me think a little, on guitar, is Eb major or minor.

its not really i cannot play if that key.. its that i dont like it.. i mean some tunes, a number of Bob dylans.. are great and i really like those.. but its just a key of G is just a bit too happy? im not sure that make sense.. but

then again some Gospel kinda things in G are great fun to play..

awell.. perhaps is a silly post..

• Members

its not really i cannot play if that key.. its that i dont like it.. i mean some tunes, a number of Bob dylans.. are great and i really like those.. but its just a key of G is just a bit too happy? im not sure that make sense.. but

then again some Gospel kinda things in G are great fun to play..

awell.. perhaps is a silly post..

No, not silly. We all have our own ear, right?

I was just wondering cuz you brought up country. To a lot of people used to blues-based rock, country does sound different, and there is more to it than just the tele twang or whatever.

I kind of think that the E, A, B7 (or E7, A7, B7) progression played a certain way just sounds so cliched, so tired. But I have nothing against the key of E major in general.

• Members

hows bout yous guys...

ummm...."jesus left chicago" is in G.......get over it :mad:

Archived